Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,506   Online: 830

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me hand in my homework:

0) they are running out of supplies so stopped the production.
    1) they cannot make more papers/films without cash to buy the raw materials and need new financing.
    2) they are not interested in getting more orders through attending the show. (They may have enough orders on hand but no raw material to fulfill the orders; or they need those marketing people to knock on the door of big banks. )
    3) they are stepping into the same shoe as Ilford.
    4) it is time to a) stock up Forte; b) try alternative process; c) play with digital

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Just talked with a friend who's returned from Photokina with the news that the Forte stand was not occupied and the word around the show is that the banks have stepped in. Anyone got any more news.

Quote J&C
    We spoke to them yesterday.

Forte has had some production difficulties and delayed delivery of products. They are still taking orders and hope to have production back in 4 to 6 weeks. This has nothing to do with banks stepping in. They have however approached banks for additional financing.

Quote Originally Posted by bwfans

1) they cannot make more papers/films without cash to buy the raw materials and need new financing.
    2) they are not interested in getting more orders through attending the show. (They may have enough orders on hand but no raw material to fulfill the orders; or they need those marketing people to knock on the door of big banks. )
    4) it is time to a) stock up Forte; b) try alternative process; c) play with digital
    Did they say they were running out of supplies?
    Did they say they were out of money and couldn't make supplies?
    Did they say they were not interested in getting more orders? Only that they Did not attend Photokina.
    Did anyone say they were doing like Ilford has done?
    Is this just another rumor getting off the ground from mis interpretation?

Get a grip. Maybe they approcached the bank becasue they needed more money to expand? Who really knows? But to be gloom and doom all the time and sparking up new ideas for rumors gets us no where.
    Non Digital Diva

Images

I vote you try out (c).
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    While I really have nothing against digital, that last thing I want to do when I'm pursuing my hobby is sit in front of a computer screen digitally manipulating an image. As a software consultant, I spend far too much time staring at a monitor as it is.

You never know - it may come to using digital techniques for at least part of the photographic process. I hope not.

I can understand how you feel. I was a department chair of a very large department at my university for many years and typically spent several hours each day in front of a monitor writing reports, evaluations and recommendations. The last thing in the world I would have wanted to do back then would have been to come home and spend more time in front of the monitor. However, the quality of my professional life has improved considerably since I got out of administration and a little time at the computer is no problema now.

In any event it appears obvious that we are in the midst of a sea change in terms of the availability of traditional materials and it seems almost inevitable that our choices of traditional films and papers will be more and more limited with each passing year. The market appears to be making some huge adjustments and I don't think we can continue to just blame the CEO for making bad decisions. Photography as we all know it may simply be disappearing before our eyes.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    Thank you for the update.

Since you are here, I'd like to ask you a question:

Are the graded papers you sell in 12x16 the same as the Fortezo papers? Would a "hard" grade be equivalent to a grade 3 or 4? Would normal be 2 and soft 1?

Thank you for all the help,

André
    Our Classic papers are Forte. The Museum paper is the same as Fortezzo.

Grades 2,3 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    I inquired in an earlier post about buying bulk film in rolls. i have access to a facility with a large subzero freezer and am begining to look at the real possibility of buying some bulk film, building a temporary "clean room" and cutting a packaging the roll(s) to insure I have a lifetime supply of ULF film.
    There will be ULF sheet film in multiple emulsions available for a long time.

Freezing jumbo rolls is likely to ruin the film. Handling a 1 meter by 600 meter roll is not something easy to do in the dark either. However, if you would like to buy a jumbo roll contact us.

It is time to sit back, buy the film you need for today and shoot that film. Hoarding of film is truely a waste of time and money. There will be plenty of film available in the future. Maybe not what is available today but there will be choices. I advised you of this when you told everyone to stock up on Ilford and I advise this now as a dealer in Forte films and papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    Our Classic papers are Forte. The Museum paper is the same as Fortezzo.

Grades 2,3 and 4.
    Thank you very much, John (it is John, right?)

I will place an order for polywarmtone is a few days, when I get my paycheck and pay off a few things...

One day I'll try out graded papers, one day. I just have to finish off a current project, which will probably do better on VC.

Thank you for your patience with our questions, and your willingness to help.

All the best,

André R. de Avillez

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    It is time to sit back, buy the film you need for today and shoot that film. Hoarding of film is truely a waste of time and money. There will be plenty of film available in the future. Maybe not what is available today but there will be choices. I advised you of this when you told everyone to stock up on Ilford and I advise this now as a dealer in Forte films and papers.
    I agree with John in that hoarding film is a waste of time and money and in the long run would probably accelerate the disappearance of film. There must be a continuing market for the material otherwise who will make the film? If we all stock up now for the next twenty years the market is pretty much dead.

My advice would be to continue to buy film fresh from the people who are still willing to make and distribute it. I would certainly encourage supporting JandC because they are providing good products at attractive prices.

Eventually all film may disappear, but then all temporal things have their space and time. One of the great poets of medieval Spanish literature, Jorge Manrique, in an elegy on the death of his father, wrote, "Querer hombre vivir cuando Dios quiera que muera es locura," that is, It is madness for man to want to live when God wants him to do die. Dylan Thomas saw it differently, but then that is another story.

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if this is considered stocking of film or not but I always try to have about
    40-50 rolls on hand.If I use 4-7 rolls per month I'm always making a purchase every month or two depending on my usage.i prefer to have more than I need on hand in case there is a slight disruption in supply and has nothing to do with fears of film being discontinued.Of course if something new comes out that I wish to try I usually buy a few rolls and If I like it enough I buy more till I'm confident with it's character,then purchase as needed.Just my 2cents-no I don't have any change.
    "An object never performs the same function as its name or its image"-Rene Magritte

"An image of a dog does not bite"-William James applied to photography

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin