Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,193   Online: 852

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

What's happening to Forte

Just talked with a friend who's returned from Photokina with the news that the Forte stand was not occupied and the word around the show is that the banks have stepped in. Anyone got any more news.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ugh. am right in the middle of a project using polywarmtone plus paper.

am getting depressed , ilford, afga, forte what is next?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If this is true, then this really, really sucks.

I only print on Forte papers, so this will really hurt if it goes away.

I guess we can only hope that this is a temporary thing, but with the way things have been going for 'traditional' photography lately...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenM
    If this is true, then this really, really sucks.

I only print on Forte papers, so this will really hurt if it goes away.

I guess we can only hope that this is a temporary thing, but with the way things have been going for 'traditional' photography lately...

Well, if worse comes to worse there is digital capture, digital negatives and alternative printing. Lots of interesting processes out there and many are much more interesting than silver gelatin, at leat to me.

Sandy King

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sandy,
    can one digital capture, digital negative and then enlarge that negative rather than contact print it? Of course you are correct about alternative methods but then that leaves coating our own paper, correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is wet plate photography, and if you don't want the mess, Liquid emulsion stuff to coat glass plates and ferrotypes. We will survive. I refuse to give up.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    Man, oh man.......... I hope this isn't true. I just discovered graded paper using Forte Fortezo. I've never had it so easy in the darkroom.

Keep us informed, Les.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    Sandy,
    can one digital capture, digital negative and then enlarge that negative rather than contact print it? Of course you are correct about alternative methods but then that leaves coating our own paper, correct?

Ann,

You would not be able to enlarge very much with a digital negative from an inkjet printer before the image breaks down so at this point in time the digital capture, digital negative approach is best suited for contact printing. But there is really quite a bit of flexibility in the approach and in my opinion I believe it would be possible to make a better print from a 6X6 cm negative from a digital negative than if you enlarged directly to the same size. I don't know this for a fact but Michael Smith and I are going to test the principle soon. Either he or Paula will make an AZO print from a roll-film negative, best one they can. Then they are going to send the negative to me and I will scan it, print a digital negative, and send it to them to make the final AZO prit from the digital negative. They will then compare the two prints and evaluate the results.

Coating your own paper is not that complicated for processes like cyanothype, VDB, kallitype and palladium and platinum. And some of these processes are even more permanent than silver gelatin.

Sandy

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    that is what i was afraid of. I have done some cyanotype, note cards from negatives, fiber stuff, but nothing else where i need to coat my own paper. Nothing like learning new skills.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Well, if worse comes to worse there is digital capture, digital negatives and alternative printing. Lots of interesting processes out there and many are much more interesting than silver gelatin, at leat to me.

Sandy King
    While I really have nothing against digital, that last thing I want to do when I'm pursuing my hobby is sit in front of a computer screen digitally manipulating an image. As a software consultant, I spend far too much time staring at a monitor as it is.

You never know - it may come to using digital techniques for at least part of the photographic process. I hope not.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin