Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,041   Online: 1258

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Processing Kodak Tri-x Super 8 B&W Reversal Film as negative in D-76?

I recently acquired two Super 8 film cameras, and am interested in experimenting with film making. I currently have a darkroom, and have developed still film and prints for a few years now. Because Kodak does not sell negative Super 8 black and white film, I would like to skip having to buy too many more chemicals, and avoid the bleaching process by just processing the Tri-x reversal film as a negative. I know this is possible to do, and I've heard of people processing Super 8 film in D-76 but am finding it difficult to come across any specific "recipes" or instructions on how to do this.

I'm looking to get a pretty rough, grainy look out of this film to give it an antique look, so I'm not too picky about the film coming out perfectly clean or without scratches. As long as I can run the thing through the projector, and get a fairly recognizable image out of it, I'll be content.

Does anyone have any links/information on how to develop this type of film bucket-style and as a negative?

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you planning to print the negative film to more negative film? Most people that shoot 8mm shoot reversal. I'm not sure if you can even get 8mm film printed anywhere.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm planning on digitizing the film after developing it, and using software to reverse it (i.e. to end up with a positive film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm, I'd say you more or less know all there is to know. Develop it in D-76 for a reasonable amount of time, like 7 minutes (off the top of my head) and treat it like normal film. I believe there is no rem-jet backing on the black & white MP film.

The bucket style gives really gritty results as I understand it, but I think there's another method wherein you wrap it around a cylinder (emulsion out) and process in a bucket. There are also some LOMO tanks that can process 10 meters and 30 meters of film in either S-8 or 16mm.

Out of curousity, how are you going to get the software-reversed images back onto film? Or do you mean "film" in the movie sense?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no REMJET backing on Tri-X reversal. Kodak says it can be processed in D-76 to negative. The speed is only 1/2 to 2/3rds the speed for reversal processing, so you'll need to overexpose in the camera to compensate.

7278 (old emulsion) http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acro.../bw/h17278.pdf
    7266 (new emulsion) http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...ts_bw_7266.pdf

I always process it as a reversal film for projection. I've never processed it negative.

Check out the forums on filmshooting.com. It's devoted to small format movie film.
    Last edited by SkipA; 06-08-2011 at 03:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks! To answer your question, I don't plan on putting it back on film once it's reversed digitally. I'm not even sure how you'd go about doing that..hm..

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hmm, I'd say you more or less know all there is to know. Develop it in D-76 for a reasonable amount of time, like 7 minutes (off the top of my head) and treat it like normal film. I believe there is no rem-jet backing on the black & white MP film.

The bucket style gives really gritty results as I understand it, but I think there's another method wherein you wrap it around a cylinder (emulsion out) and process in a bucket. There are also some LOMO tanks that can process 10 meters and 30 meters of film in either S-8 or 16mm.

Out of curousity, how are you going to get the software-reversed images back onto film? Or do you mean "film" in the movie sense?

Shooter
    35mm
    Good to know. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    There is no REMJET backing on Tri-X reversal. Kodak says it can be processed in D-76 to negative. The speed is only 1/2 to 2/3rds the speed for reversal processing, so you'll need to overexpose in the camera to compensate.

7278 (old emulsion) http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acro.../bw/h17278.pdf
    7266 (new emulsion) http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...ts_bw_7266.pdf

I always process it as a reversal film for projection. I've never processed it negative.

Check out the forums on filmshooting.com. It's devoted to small format movie film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Putting it back onto film" is no trivial task, to say the least. Actually, it sounds about a hundred times more difficult than just reveral processing it in the first place.

It's one thing if you just want to turn it into a DVD, in which case you can just scan the negative, but scanning a negative, reversing it, and putting it back onto the film?? :/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've successfully developed the 7266 film stock in a LOMO tank with Rodinal 1:50 for 15min/20c
    It was a bit dense and very grainy, but totally usable and interesting.

the user forum isn't letting me post a link to the video on youtube since I'm a newbie.

I'm going to try out XTOL next.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds cool Pete, would love to see it. I think you should be able to post a link after a couple more posts, or you can just add the URL and we can add the .com, or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin