Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,823   Online: 1130

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Shanghai GP3 time in Xtol Replenished?

Anyone got a time and experience?

I got 2 rolls for someone else to process, I process other people's stuff typically in Xtol replenished for B&W. While I process all my own Shanghai in Rodinal.

Haven't found a GP3 time for Xtol replenished online.. only diluted.

FP4+ is listed on massive dev chart @ 1+3 14 and 3/4 min for 20c, while GP3 has a time entered for 20 minutes at 1+3 and 20c.

So I was thinking 9 min and 20 seconds for Xtol Replenished @ 20c possibly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    XTOL is kept in the stock solution. If you want to use replenished XTOL, use the XTOL stock, and replenish with stock XTOL. The times will stay the same unless you are using a Jobo processor for sheet film [Add one minute to the 68 degree F (20 degree C) time].

Any questions, just ask.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love GP3 in Rodinal. Why would you not just go ahead and use that here too?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Because there are great advantages that XTOL and XTOL replenished have over Rodinal.

By the way for 35mm, 120 and 4"x5" using XTOL or XTOL replenished do not reduce the development time by 15%. Both Jobo and Kodak strongly advise not to presoak with XTOL and XTOL replenished.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my practical experience with replenished Xtol compared to Xtol 1+2, which gives about similar activity, I have observed the following:
    1. You can pretty much use 1+2 dilution times as a good solid starting point for replenished Xtol.
    2. Replenished Xtol gives about 1/2 to 2/3 stop less speed than Xtol 1+2.
    3. Replenished Xtol will yield sharper negatives, and a finer more acute grain.
    4. Replenished Xtol, with its decreased shadow detail, will exhibit a different tonality from 1+2, giving more toe (less shadow separation) and a shoulder (less highlight separation). Midtones are similar in contrast to 1+2. I like this tonality better than the long straight curve, so I prefer replenished.
    5. Replenished Xtol does not push well.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    From my practical experience with replenished Xtol compared to Xtol 1+2, which gives about similar activity, I have observed the following:
    1. You can pretty much use 1+2 dilution times as a good solid starting point for replenished Xtol.
    4. Replenished Xtol, with its decreased shadow detail, will exhibit a different tonality from 1+2, giving more toe (less shadow separation) and a shoulder (less highlight separation). Midtones are similar in contrast to 1+2. I like this tonality better than the long straight curve, so I prefer replenished.

- Thomas
    Thank you for qualifying that more specifially.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to add that a recommended development time for Shanghai GP3, if it's similar to Ilford FP4+, will be around 12 minutes for box speed. Agitate full first minute, and two full inversions on each minute mark.

That will probably work well for diffusion enlarger if the film was shot in normal contrast lighting. Trial and error is still important for new films, however, so no guarantees.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should also probably question the choice of Xtol for your customer's films, especially if you're not familiar with the combination of it and Shanghai film.
    The best choice would be to use a developer that you're familiar with, to take variables out of producing good results.
    Since you know and like Rodinal, why not use it for your customer's film? Clearly it would be a better choice than Xtol if you actually know what the outcome is.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

- Thomas

Well usually all I get is vague "answers" on here. Last time I asked there were 101 recommendations to use Seasoned instead of Diluted, but no one would quantify any advantage to one or the other, just saying replenished does the same job bt better.

I am familiar with Xtol, but received that many recommendations to just use replenished, saying it's better than stock and diluted.
    Last edited by Athiril; 07-23-2011 at 05:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin