Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,377   Online: 763

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Alkaline Fixers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never tried those completely neutral fixers, but I would expect them to behave much like Ilford Hypam, which is already almost neutral.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    At last some reality Hypam and Ilford Rapid fixer have a pH of 5.2 to 5.4, Boric acid which is used as an eye bath has a pH of 5.2, we are talking about barely acidic with these fixers. In contrast older acid fixers were around pH 4.3.

All the claims for alkali fixers with regards to shortened wash times etc are similar to Ilford's recommendations for Hypam & Rapid Fixer.

Ian
    Just as a matter of interest, does Hypam smell of SO2? I use Kodak Flexicolor Fixer(pH=6.2) which is closer to neutral and it smells a little. Agfa FX-Universal smelled the least but is no longer available. It was pH=7.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, does Hypam smell of SO2? I use Kodak Flexicolor Fixer(pH=6.2) which is closer to neutral and it smells a little. Agfa FX-Universal smelled the least but is no longer available. It was pH=7.5.
    Not that I've noticed in use, most chemistry has a slight smell, whether it's developer, stop or fixer. It's more whether an fixer gives off a pungent ammonia smell.

Ian

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin