Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,205   Online: 969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    foc

Shooter
    35mm
    Could it be the film loaded onto the dev reel. Those marks look to me like the film emulsion was touching part of the film when loaded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being that it is 120 film, did it come into contact with anything when you were spooling it onto the reel? Do you seperate the film from the backing prior to spooling, or do you wrestle the film and backer simultaniously to load.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I kind of separate the film from paper as I am loading. It is awkward to explain, I get the first part of the paper and put it between me and the table to hold it there while I get the film started on the spool, I then place the rest of the film still rolled up, in the empty tank and hold the spool/reel just above the tank, so I can load on the film to spool. So maybe the film unraveled a bit or something in the tank?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I've always found removing the paper altogether before spooling works well.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    I kind of separate the film from paper as I am loading. It is awkward to explain, I get the first part of the paper and put it between me and the table to hold it there while I get the film started on the spool, I then place the rest of the film still rolled up, in the empty tank and hold the spool/reel just above the tank, so I can load on the film to spool. So maybe the film unraveled a bit or something in the tank?
    Sounds fine. I just feed the end in and start it into the reel until it grips. Then I carefully let the film and paper dangle downwards towards the floor as I reel it in, checking that it's not getting twisted. But I think you would have noticed if the film was not wound properly when you opened up the tank at the end. It would have to be out of the grooves at some point and buckled. Also you tend to know when it is not winding correctly as you wind it. You feel it. I think you'll have to carry on and mark this one down to experience. And hope it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 06-28-2011 at 04:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Ingi,

I have looked at the scan, each density area has a 'halo' around it, and they are not linear, that is typical of 'stress' being introduced to the film, usually on loading film before processing. 'Wet hands / wet reel' syndrome....its very typical...not that I am saying thats what it is.

As it is an ILFORD film you are welcome to return it and we will check it out, to get the definitive answer you need to examine the film layers under an electron microscope. I appreciate Tasmania is not 'just around the corner' but we will be happy to check it out for you, and then at least you would know.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the offer Simon, could you please explain the wet hands/wet reel syndrome. Being a novice at this I dont understand how the film "stresses" in the middle of the roll. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    Sounds fine. I just feed the end in and start it into the reel until it grips. Then I carefully let the film and paper dangle downwards towards the floor as I reel it in, checking that it's not getting twisted. But I think you would have noticed if the film was not wound properly when you opened up the tank at the end. It would have to be out of the grooves at some point and buckled. Also you tend to know when it is not winding correctly as you wind it. You feel it. I think you'll have to carry on and mark this one down to experience. And hope it doesn't happen again.
    The film looked fine in the spool after it was unloaded. Yep chalking this up to could of been anything, will have to experiment with different ways to hold/place the rest of the film when loading. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    I've always found removing the paper altogether before spooling works well.
    Interesting, so you place the end of film in spool then separate all the paper? where do you place the film while spooling, do you leave it to hang down?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just that wet hands or wet reels, resist against the film and 'move' the film, with the film secure in the reel, movement over a small area can introduce stress.

I was always taught to remove the backing strip first, taking care to remove the tape very slowly back on itself to avoid static...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin