Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,577   Online: 884

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    I was always taught to remove the backing strip first, taking care to remove the tape very slowly back on itself to avoid static...
    I always take the paper off first, because I found the paper got in the way when I am loading steel reels. When I was a teenager, I left the paper on and used the cranking back and forth to load the plastic reels.

Now that I have the Jobo plastic reels with are loaded by cranking back and forth, I think that I will still remove the paper first because of your advice. [I have never gotten bad advise from you, Simon. ]

The tape always seems to be a necessary annoyance.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always seperate the film from the backing paper prior to spooling, makes for a much easier task of loading reels. It also allows me to insert the taped end under the keeper with stainless reels, feels more secure and aids in centering the film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest to the OP that he look at the videos on Jason Brunner's website (Jason is one of the moderators here on APUG).

Jason and I differ slightly, in that he doesn't remove the backing paper first, but otherwise he loads film the way I suggest you do it.

To remove the backing paper first, peel back the backing paper until you get to the film. Cradle the film in one palm while you allow it to naturally curl into itself as you continue to peel back the backing with your other hand. When you get to the tape, you will have a tube of film in your hand, and backing paper hanging down from the other hand. Carefully peel the tape from the backing paper. You can then let the backing paper and spool fall out of the way.

All in total darkness of course.

Here is a link to the Free Videos section on Jason's excellent site:

http://www.jasonbrunner.com/videos.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ingi View Post
    The film looked fine in the spool after it was unloaded. Yep chalking this up to could of been anything, will have to experiment with different ways to hold/place the rest of the film when loading. Thanks
    Simon R Galley's note about a wet reel/hands would be an explanation. The film sticks in the reel and then you might get buckling as you twist the reels to wind. I think with experience, you know when that is happening. But whatever caused it, the stressed film diagnosis sounds the most plausible cause. 120 is probably more susceptible to buckling than 35mm.

I'm sure you know all this but don't use undue force on the reels as you rotate them. If something sticks then stop and check for wet reel / film or jamming. If the former, get everything dry (in the dark) and start again. Sometimes the film does not feed in true and can jam. Again don't force it but remove the film gently and start again. And I find that initial jamming is more likely with 120.

Simon's analysis offer sounds a good one.
    Last edited by mr.datsun; 06-30-2011 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thankyou to everyone, you have all been extremely helpful. Matt, I will look at the videos you linked. And thankyou again to Simon for the analysis offer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin