Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,265   Online: 821

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Odd marks on film

Hi all, I am hoping someone can tell me what these markings are on my film. I haven't had this problem before so I am at a loss. Film details Ilford fp4 plus 120 rated at 50 iso
    Developed in ID11 for recommended time. Nothing unusual in loading or development of film. Affected frames 7,8,9 and 10. Most of it is in this image posted. I have darkened the image down and outlined some of the marks, so you can see it better. The marks do not form lines through the adjacent frames though, they are random. Any help appreciated. Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails andrew marks.jpg  

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I was gonna say, there are red lines all over it.

They look quite odd. My only guess is maybe scratches before the film was developed.

Try another roll and see if it goes away. Maybe it's just the particular film you've got.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks like something (long hairs? mould?) was on the film before you developed it. I say that because there's a core of underexposure/underdevelopment surrounded by overdevelopment, the latter perhaps being caused by turbulence around whatever is on the film.

It looks a little like what you get when the film touches during processing but there's too much of it for that to be the cause.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have long finger nails ?

Suspect scratching of emulsion while loading the film on the reel prior to development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have an old camera that tends to scratch my film as it winds..... looks very similar to this after development.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Could film stress while loading. What type of reel and how do you load it?
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scratches in the emulsion, they cause clear marks that print and scan black. could be from anything. Felt trap dirt, camera pressure plate, loading during development, squeeging the film to hard etc. try another roll, stuff like this happens from time to time. its when its on every roll that you need to worry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all your responses. This is the first film I have had it happen on, so hoping this is just once in hundred type things. The reel is a standard spiral from a paterson tank. I dont remember any problems loading or it feeling different when I loaded the film on the spiral. I just found it unusual that it was midway through the film, I do have long fingernails but I hold my reel with the pads of my fingertips on the outside edge, so my nails /fingers dont really have any contact with the emulsion side of the film other than loading the film leader. I did notice some little floaties (not sure what they were, but they were tiny and soft) when tipping the developer out. Maybe these have scratched the film while agitating, but I would have thought this would be all over the frames rather than in the middle of the reel?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    It could be random where they appear.
    Do you use powder developer?
    I find when I'm nearing the end of the bottle of powdered developer, I get 10 or so tiny little floaties that always cause me a bit of concern.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As far as I know it is powdered developer, ready mixed for students to use. I am unable to develop my own film at moment with my chemicals being at 6degs,( I live in a very cold house). So I make use of the darkroom and chemicals at tafe and take pot luck that they are working, not contaminated, mixed properly I developed another film this afternoon, in new developer and on quick inspection the problem hasn't re-occured

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin