Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Question about Hardener

So, the final step on my Kodak Sepia II Warm Toner package instructions say to harden the prints using a hardener.

What hardener do you use and where do you get it?

This is a new one on me.

Thanx in advance.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is one suggestion, but I've never used it, and don't know where to obtain it:

http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p...?pq-path=14052
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That hardener is NOT to be used except with the proper fix bath. It is a mix of Sulfuric Acid + Alum and is "moderated" by the fix bath to give the right pH for hardening.

You should go back to the literature and find the right hardener to go with the process you have in mind. Since IDK what that is, I cannot help.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An instruction sheet that came with Photographer's Formulary brand Sepia toner says to re-fix it with fixer with hardener. My usual process is to use Kodak professional fixer (that has a hardener in it) and HCA, then usual washing.

I didn't know the hardener is NOT to be used by itself. Good to know...
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    That hardener is NOT to be used except with the proper fix bath. It is a mix of Sulfuric Acid + Alum and is "moderated" by the fix bath to give the right pH for hardening.

You should go back to the literature and find the right hardener to go with the process you have in mind. Since IDK what that is, I cannot help.

PE
    PE:

Is the Kodak website in error on this?

It reads:

"For preparing an acid hardening stop bath for films and papers

For use after toning prints fixed with non-hardening fixers

Dilute 1 part concentrate with 13 parts water"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guys;

The pH of this bath is critical. If it is too acid, it can cause undue swell and poor hardening. Same is true if the pH is too high.

The instructions are right, but the use is critical. You must be exact! If any part of your workflow is off, then things are off. It is best to use a hardening fix! I consider this treatment to be an "emergency" remedy for a workflow that does not use a hardening fix. That is my recommendation just OTOMH.

Now, you can do what you wish, but I use hardening fixer which is compounded for these situations. Or, I do what tkamiya does. The Formulary has a good grasp of this problem as well.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow.... My process is PE approved!

Maybe I should change my user name to "Photo technician" or something!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my technicians was a Civil War (Gettysburg to be specific) re-enactor and appeared in a film. Wanna do that?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to both of you.

I've been wondering about this for a while.

It is too bad that the instructions for the Kodak sepia toners don't include the information.
    Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is "Photo Janitor" taken? That'll be a "PJ".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin