Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,262   Online: 827

Alternatives to Ilford Perceptol?

My stock of Perceptol is nearly out and my usual supplier (Silverprint in London) tells me that there is none available until Ilford start making it again. So, in desperation I have to consider alternatives. I usually shoot Delta 100/400 and some FP4.

Can anybody recommend a fine grain developer like Perceptol which is readily available in the UK? Would XTol be OK?

Thanks

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Divaphoto
    Can anybody recommend a fine grain developer like Perceptol which is readily available in the UK? Would XTol be OK?
    Hmmm...I use Rodinal Special with Ilford Delta 100 for fine grain and very nice tones. Worth trying...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak Microdol-X is often described as similar to Perceptol

Thanks for the suggestions, it seems that Rodinal Special isn't normally available in the UK, and surprisingly neither is Microdol -X.

I've had a suggestion that T-Max developer would be better than XTol - any thoughts?

Richard.

BTW I spoke to the recievership team at Iflord in Cheshire and impressed upon them the need to get some chemicals out before we all start reforumuating - I'm pleased to say that they were already aware of the problem!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    anyone out there have a formula that can replicate Microdol-X or Perceptol? I have the chemicals ;need formula Thanx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    anyone out there have a formula that can replicate Microdol-X or Perceptol? I have the chemicals ;need formula Thanx
    Here is Ronald W. Anderson's Microdol-X substitute formula. This formula was published in the 1973 Dignan Photographic Newsletter.

Microdol-X Substitute

Water-----------------------750. ml
    Metol-------------------------7.5 grams
    Sodium Sulfite (anhy)--------100 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite----------------7.5 grams
    Water to make---------------1.0 liter

This formula works fine with the normal developing times given for Microdol-X (both use 1:3 dilution). The results: The same, even to image tone.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Tom-that was really fast. I saw some work with microdal-x and delta 400 that blew me away so even though I yse traditional films here goes. Thanks again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are most welcome!
    BTW, I have also posted this formulation in the APUG Chemistry Recipes section.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    That formula with 30 to 50 grams of canning salt or iodine free table salt might be a closer approximation. I saw a little reduction in granularity when I tested a similar combination. The canning salt doesn't increase developing time a whole lot. Iodized salt might be another story.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    D-23 is also in the Perceptol/Microdol-X family, and is one of the easiest formulas to make yourself. You can find it here:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/De.../formulas.html

and if you need a scale for measuring powdered chemicals, try www.balances.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin