Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,697   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wages have not kept pace. the devaluation of the dollar, the price of silver, the long term reduction in the demand for film, fuel prices, ...
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Wages have not kept pace. the devaluation of the dollar, the price of silver, the long term reduction in the demand for film, fuel prices, ...
    Similar issues with dairy products! Butterfat is a commodity item and it just keeps getting more and more expensive for so many reasons that it is equally hard to figure out cause from effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd agree, Tim Gray, that for most people, wages have not kept pace with inflation. Inflation is a hidden tax that hits the lower income wage-earners harder than it does others. Who does inflation benefit? Surely not most wage-earners.

You're looking at a symptom and thinking it's the problem.

Film is still cheaper than it was 40 years ago. It is only the perception of its price that has grown higher.
    Last edited by SkipA; 06-28-2011 at 10:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, were off into politics here. I do think the US dollar is practically worthless, and credit cards (and debt) have replaced wage gains. Not to mention food stamps subsidizing large zilion-aire corporations so they can underpay their peasants, er, employees. I still shoot a lot of 8 x 10 and it is very expensive. Turning more and more to medium format.

Shooter
    35mm
    With such a mature technology (all the R&D long ago paid for) it seems amazing that decent, high quality, 'no frills' film cannot be made in bulk rolls for no more than $20 for 100 ft.
    Please, in all seriousness, why don't you look into starting a company and undercutting the big manufacturers? I would love to have more options for film.

I share your frustration, and I blame inflation and taxation, both essentially caused by too large and too unaccountable government.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As long as I can still buy B&W film, I'll make due with the prices of B&W film.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David L, yup you are just dead wrong.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need to place some of the blame on speculators in precious metals. IIRC, the price of silver doubled recently.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Starting a company is not a bad idea. Many of us could get together and start a consortium and buy in huge quantities. There are volume discounts.

don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It'd be nice if films and all other film related products are cheaper but when many companies are discontinuing products for lack of profit and few hanging on, I have no problems having them make reasonable gain so they can sustain it as a profitable business.

Although I spend good chunk of my hobby fund on photography, supplies are still smaller portion of the whole. I complained about high cost of paper myself (to myself) but hey, I had fun for 1/2 a day for about $15.... (used half of the pack)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin