Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,601   Online: 885

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How to operate a business: Lesson 1A.

Make profit.

If you have to scale back production due to lack of sales of a product that has essentially been in the curve of demise for 15 years, you want to make every sale count. People that want it badly enough will pay, and when they do you make a healthy profit every time. Film and silver gelatin based photography is essentially a cash cow, waiting to die. A few are holding on to this technology, because they love it. The rest of the world doesn't care. How do you make a profit in such a circumstance? You charge more. Easy peasy.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    Starting a company is not a bad idea. Many of us could get together and start a consortium and buy in huge quantities. There are volume discounts.

don
    Yes, we could have somebody make a film coating assembly line in their daddy's barn. Please see the dreaded 'Kodachrome has been deleted' thread to see where that one goes.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Actually maybe I misspoke. I am thinking about buying a large amount of film. Making it ourselves is out of my realm.

I buy Ilford in the hundred rolls per buy and get a good price. Imagine buying a thousand at a time.

Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    Actually maybe I misspoke. I am thinking about buying a large amount of film. Making it ourselves is out of my realm.

I buy Ilford in the hundred rolls per buy and get a good price. Imagine buying a thousand at a time.

Don
    Ok, you mis-typed. However the second sentence points out an approach that the Austrialians are using to get passed the high mark ups of their country's film stores. I believe that they have to keep the cost below $1,000AUS.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    kodak used to raise their prices two times a year, it wasn't 30¢ / roll for long ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Yes, I am tired of 'excuses' being given for BW film prices. With such a mature technology (all the R&D long ago paid for) it seems amazing that decent, high quality, 'no frills' film cannot be made in bulk rolls for no more than $20 for 100 ft. Why does 100 ft of Kodak Plus-X have to retail for, what is it now, about $80 before discount? When I was living in New York City in the 70s, a 36 exposure roll of Plus-X was 63 cents at the Camera Barn chain store. Why does a DISCOUNTED price now have to be over 6 bucks at B&H? That is TEN TIMES the 70s price. Back then minimum wage was $2.50/hour and now it is about three times as much. I know that the usual excuses will follow (ie, less made) but I really think that the groundwork made in production efficiency and refinement over the years should mitigate the 'less is sold' excuse. Am I dead wrong here? Or is this film simply selling for what the traffic will bear? Lack of competition thwarts reasons for not giving 'value'? - David Lyga.
    It seems that after 40 years, some people still don't understand economics and business dynamics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've thought about buying up film that's apt to be discontinued and storing it in a freezer in some fallout shelter somewhere to protect it from cosmic radiation (earth and concrete in quantity are cheap ways to protect from natural gamma radiation). Imagine the wealth someone would be sitting on if they had a fridge full of polaroid 55 or a chest freezer full of tech pan? They might have the biggest inventory in the world!

This would not be an investment to avoid inflation related price changes in film, but rather a way to keep films on the market long after the end of their manufacture. It would take more money than I have to do on a worthwhile scale though. It's pretty much a guarantee there will be fewer film choices in the future, and a guarantee people don't like change, and a guarantee prices will increase. If you buy something that doesn't discontinue, it can easily be sold for most of it's cost as long as it's not far past it's exp date.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    I don't think that's the real problem. I think the real problem is that for the typical American, wages haven't kept pace.
    +1
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Yes, we could have somebody make a film coating assembly line in their daddy's barn. Please see the dreaded 'Kodachrome has been deleted' thread to see where that one goes.
    Hey, that was *MY* barn we were talking about in that thread.

Unfortunately we had a fire a few months ago, and that barn no longer exists. Only a concrete slab is there now, waiting for me to get another structure built.

Perhaps we should prepare it as a fabrication plant while I'm making the plans.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You think film is expensive, go buy a digital camera. A good digital camera. You'll thank God for the low prices of film once you see what a good high resolution digital SLR costs. Film is not expensive. I make very little money compared to most of you, because I survive on my income as an artist...no other job...and I can afford to shoot a couple hundred rolls a year!
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin