Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,859   Online: 946

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for some 120 film suggestions

Good afternoon everyone!
    I'm looking at breaking into MF in the very near future. My intention is to find a Rolleicord (probably a II or III) and play with it for a while to find out if I like the concept or not. Should I like it, I would probably step up to a Rolleiflex.
    That said, I could use some film advice. Here in Quebec City, my choices are limited to Kodak and Ilford. I can get Ilford Delta 100 in 120 format at about $6 CAD a roll. I find this a bit steep, so I was thinking about purchasing some Arista or J & C Pro 100 or 125 iso from either J & C or Freestyle.
    To add a twist, there are very few developer choices in Quebec City...ID-11 or D-76 or Microphen. I presently use Delta 100 and 400 in ID-11 for consistency's sake.

That said, I need to know which film you would recommend which would give a MF beginner stable and consistent results in ID-11, and that is suitable to learning about MF; thus, nothing too fancy in the beginning.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Images
    Good Afternoon, Kent,

Assuming that you already use 35mm, why not just go for the 120 size of the same film(s) and developer(s) you're already familiar with?

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Here in Quebec City, my choices are limited to Kodak and Ilford. I can get Ilford Delta 100 in 120 format at about $6 CAD a roll. I find this a bit steep,

Don't B&H and Adorama ship to Canada? The films and chems you are using aren't very expensive at all from these (and other American) vendors. Especially with periods of sporadic unavailablity that now seem to be an increasing likelihood, wouldn't it make sense to buy a few bricks of the stuff anyway to avoid suddenly running out?
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    Unfortunately you folks have GS and other taxes slapped onto the price of film. If you get some film from the states would you still have to pay, or would duty come into play?

You can't beat delta 100. It is very consitent and screw-up proof. I should know. In my opinion it would be worth the money. That aside try freestyle sales and JandC. I like the consitency of Classic 200. I have been using it in 5x7 but not developing it in ID-ll

Once you do the bigger MF negative the 35mm neg will pale in comparison. then it will be a 4x5, and now your hooked. Soon you'll be hocking the car for a 12x20 and mugging girl scouts for money to buy film. It's a slippery slope. I suggest you join a support group right now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Boston is a little ways away from Quebec. But for a weekend trip, go walk the Charles, eat at fine seafood rest.s, drive around and see how the other half broke away from the Crown... and go buy a ton of supplies at one of the many great photo shops in the Boston area. Should only have to do it once a year.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey all, thanks for your replies,
    Maybe I ought to just stick with Delta 100...I really like it. I could probably get it sent from Toronto and then not have to worry about duties and stuff.

Mark, you are partially correct...It's totally inconsistent; in theory, everything coming in should be taxed for provincial and federal taxes (about 14% combined) but they only seem to bother with it about half of the time.

As for your second comment, ya got me rollin in the aisle I think that my wife is going to start pulling out her hair...First it was kitting the darkroom, then its the monthly purchases of chemicals, film and paper. Then it was all of the kit for my Minolta, then the Canonet...But it's the most amazing drug!!! I'm gonna have to start mugging Scouts for their cookie money!!!

Just one more hit of ID-11 and I'll be OK, really, no really. No, I don't have a problem, really, I don't

Maybe I'll hang out on the street corners downtown with a sign around my next...'WILL ACCEPT MONEY OR ROLLS OF FILM'!!!

Cheers mate! You made my day!!!

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give J&C 100 a try, it's very nice stuff (and also rather inexpensive).
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still feeling my way into 120 medium format film with an old Richomatic, and I'm using the Arista.edu from Freestyle in XTOL. I've used the .edu in 120 and in 4x5 so far (both with XTOL) and have no complaints at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Hey all, thanks for your replies,
    Maybe I ought to just stick with Delta 100...I really like it. I could probably get it sent from Toronto and then not have to worry about duties and stuff.
    Kent -- try www.photococan.com. His prices are reasonable -- they seem no higher than what I pay here in Toronto -- he is based in Pointe-Claire (Mtl West Island) so the shipping should be fast. A 120-format roll of Delta 100 is C$4.25, the non-Delta films are cheaper. The prices are still higher than what Adorama or B&H charges, though.

Boston is an option for buying stuff from the US but it is a long drive from Quebec City and the film prices tend to be exorbitant.

If you do go with B&H or Adorama, make sure you have it shipped by mail (not UPS, who will charge you ridiculous customs brokering fees).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got a few rolls of APX-100 for my Ricohflex for about $1.50
    But I'll give Arista.edu or J&C a try next time
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin