Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,652   Online: 639
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    981
    Images
    3
    Thanks to everyone who gave me their thoughts.

    Just finished processing the latest batch of HP-5. Taking all of your advice (and using poor lab technique by implementing everything at once - don't care, I'll stick with it all), I used J Brunner's 49:1 @ 8 minutes dilution for HC-110 and HP-5 @ ISO-400, poured both developer and fixer (at their appropriate times) into the tank before dropping in the film, and pre-wetted the film before dropping it into the tank. I didn't see uneven development so maybe I'll be okay. I have a big shoot next weekend and no room for error so hopefully the process is there.

    Dan

  2. #12
    Light Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    67
    Another tank option that I have tried and have had good results with is using a paterson 3 reel tank and a 4x5 hulder from mod photographic. The holder will will hold up to 6 sheets of 4x5 film. Mod Photographic sells them on ebay.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NJ
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    981
    Images
    3
    I've noticed something about these marks I've been getting. When the film is drying, sometimes, there will be a line between the emulsion being completely dry and fairly tacky and wet. That's where the mark comes from. What's causing this? Not fixing enough? Fixing too much? Not washing enough? Any thoughts? I can control it fairly well if I dry the film with a hairdrier.

    Thanks,
    Dan

  4. #14
    Martin Aislabie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Stratford-upon-Avon, England
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotoguy20d View Post
    Ian,

    I had been using an FR tank with even worse results and thought the HP was supposed to be better. I may try the dip/dunk method. Better than tray developing I suppose, but I was hoping to stick with daylight processing.

    I was thinking of trying dilution H (might have the designation wrong). I believe it's half the strength of B so around 63:1, and around 11 minutes development time.

    Are those surge marks? Would loading fewer than 6 sheets help?

    Dan
    I only put 4 sheets at a time in mine.

    Try leaving the middle sheet out - the film may be touching each other in the tank.

    I have seen touch conditions on my films if I used all 6 slots.

    Martin

  5. #15
    Bob Carnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto-Ontario
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    4,543
    Images
    14
    Those marks look like the classic problem of not agitating properly enough in the first 15-20 seconds of development.
    I have not read the other posts so sorry if it has been pointed out.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dunedin,New Zealand
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    264
    I have never had good results inverting my Combiplan . I kill the lights once a minute and lift the rack,drain to the left, re-insert, lift and drain to the right. Works well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin