Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,385   Online: 987

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, a significant difference. That's why I asked how many rolls you've done.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm maybe I should start replenishing my xtol. I have been using 1:2 and 1:3 dilutions 1 shot. Do you guys see a good bit of savings?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I replenish with 100 per roll. I am still working out all of my numbers though. I have had probably 75 rolls through it.

Also been going for 3.5 months.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Hmm maybe I should start replenishing my xtol. I have been using 1:2 and 1:3 dilutions 1 shot. Do you guys see a good bit of savings?
    Replenished Xtol is used full strength. So you are using 100ml FS / roll when replenishing.

Compare that to 1-Shot:
    • 35mm 36ex in a 250 ml/roll tank: 1:2 uses 83ml; 1:3 uses 62ml.
    • 120 in a 500 ml/roll tank: 1:2 uses 167 ml; 1:3 uses 125ml.

Replenishing makes sense if photography is your business - for an amateur like myself a stable developer (D-76 1:1, Microdol-X 1:3, HC-110h from syrup) used 1-shot makes more sense.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Replenished Xtol is used full strength. So you are using 100ml FS / roll when replenishing.

Compare that to 1-Shot:

Replenishing makes sense if photography is your business - for an amateur like myself a stable developer (D-76 1:1, Microdol-X 1:3, HC-110h from syrup) used 1-shot makes more sense.
    Thanks, I guess I'll stick to using it 1 shot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I actually replenished at Kodak's 70ml recomendation which worked great. For 35 mm that gets replenishment very close to one shot dilute economy.

The places replenishment really shines are for economy are where larger tanks need filling. A roll of 120 only costs 70 ml regardless of tank size in replenished Xtol.

When sheet film hits the equation, the difference become significant. I can fill a 1.1 liter tank to do a single sheet of 4x5 and it only costs 18ml of Xtol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post

Compare that to 1-Shot:

Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used replenished developers since the late 60's, there's major advantages in using Xtol replenished, one of which is economy.

The Kodak replenishment figure of 70ml per 35mm film or 80 sq inches
    are quite high, this is based on bleed replenishment, and in practice is more than is theoretically needed. So the figures above are meaningless particularly when processing 120 and 5x4 and multple rolls of 35mm.

However the other advantages are finer grain, better acutance and an improved tonal range and very consistent results, plus you have developer made up ready for instant use which cuts times considerably. It's forgotten than many developers were designed for replenishment from the outset and their use dilute came later.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any of you using replenished XTOL in a Jobo, or other rotary tank? Does the presumably increased oxidation cause a problem?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin