Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,720   Online: 774

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is it possible to over replenish stock XTOL?

I've been using replenished XTOL stock 70mls per roll. It seems that my negs are are getting thinner as I use the replenished developer with time. Could I add a little more per roll? I would think that it would be impossible to over-replenish since I'm using stock developer. Anybody else finds that 70mls per roll is a bit conservative also? Or is it just me?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We all have to fine tune the amounts. If I do five rolls at once I do 350 or 7o ml per roll. but one or two roll I do 100ml per roll.

Can you over replenish. May be if the volume of the replenished stock is low. I keep my volume at 2.5L
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I've been using replenished XTOL stock 70mls per roll. It seems that my negs are are getting thinner as I use the replenished developer with time. Could I add a little more per roll? I would think that it would be impossible to over-replenish since I'm using stock developer. Anybody else finds that 70mls per roll is a bit conservative also? Or is it just me?
    How old is the unused stock?

How many rolls have you run?

How big is your "replenished" bottle?
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may need to look at how you're storing the Xtol, (stock & replenisher) I've never had issues with thinner negatives with any replenished developers until the developer begins to collapse - but that's heavy commercial usage and there's tell tale signs, negatives are still OK but contrast drops etc.

Type of bottle is quite critical particularly if plastic, some breathe oxygen and I've had devs go off in under 3 months that last 18 months in the right bottles.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I use polyethylene bottles for the developer

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Type of bottle is quite critical particularly if plastic, some breathe oxygen and I've had devs go off in under 3 months that last 18 months in the right bottles.

Ian
    I also use an air tight glass bottle to store the replenisher. Is polyethylene gas permeable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some polyethylene bottles are gas permeable, which surprised me initially. The high density ones are fine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks I checked

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Some polyethylene bottles are gas permeable, which surprised me initially. The high density ones are fine.

Ian
    I'll avoid the non-high density Polyethlene containers.

I checked the container and it's HDPE. I've been using an Ikea Lingonberry syrup 1.5 liter containers.

I guess I'll have to figure out my own way of replenishing my XTOL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You may just need to adjust your time a bit.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Xtol is 4 years old and is replenished at the rate of 90ml per standard film. Its activity is 75% of fresh and a routine developing time increase takes care of that. After many square metres of film I doubt any atoms of the original Xtol batch are still present but the stuff is unerringly consistent film after film after film....
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow that's amazing. Do you see a huge difference between your seasoned developer and a fresher batch of XTOL?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin