Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,310   Online: 951

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    http://www.amcor.com/products_services/wine_casks.html

If you look at the details tab, they say:

"Wine packaged in this way will have a shorter shelf life than bottled wine as the bladder is not hermetically sealed."

Define shorter shelf life?

Shooter
    35mm
    Keeping in mind that good wines can last decades in properly sealed bottles, shorter could mean anything from months to years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jeri.
    This leads me to think that even though some PE bladders are gas permeable, I would think it's a better alternative that a glass bottle that is half filled with developer. The one I'm using has a double layer of PE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does this mean that analog photographers drink too much?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Hi Jeri.
    This leads me to think that even though some PE bladders are gas permeable, I would think it's a better alternative that a glass bottle that is half filled with developer. The one I'm using has a double layer of PE.
    The amount of oxygen in a half filled glass bottle is limited. Once it is used there is no more unless the bottle is opened again. However, oxygen is constantly passing through the polyethylene bag.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Dektol turns brown as it gets oxidized. So does D76. I can tell when developer has been stored in half-full bottles for too long because it starts to turn brown. Developer stored in wine boxes stays crystal clear for over well over a year. That's all you need to know, IMO.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Dektol turns brown as it gets oxidized. So does D76. I can tell when developer has been stored in half-full bottles for too long because it starts to turn brown. Developer stored in wine boxes stays crystal clear for over well over a year. That's all you need to know, IMO.
    Of what type of bottles are you speaking? One must also consider how well the cap excludes air. If the liner is damaged in any way the seal is compromised.

Besides polyethylene some cubitainers use a composite material which is better at blocking oxygen. I personally avoid any polyethylene containers for developers.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-05-2011 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Better Sense ... I'll take that evidence to the bank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so sure keeping any kind of non-drinkable chemical in a container that is generally seen as containing a drinking substance to be a good idea. Taking the bladder out of the box and storing securely is one thing but using and keeping it inside the original wine box even if you wrote on it that it's not wine, is asking for possible trouble. Sure, sometimes chemicals come in similar such boxes and bladders but those boxes look more "clinical" in color and wording than your more festively worded and designed wine box. I know it sounds far-fetched but a drunk person finding a wine box might be so drunk as to not take care to read the outside (assuming they are not too drunk to read that is). Stranger things have happened.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So cover the box in duct tape.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin