Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,125   Online: 747

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheap wine = great chemical container?

Out here in California, we have a grocery chain called Trader Joes. They have 3 liter wine in boxes for under $10 U.S.

I've drank all the wine and I now have an empty box with a bladder and a spigot. I'm going to put some film developer in it. Do you think it's a good idea? The bladder is made of a double layer of polyethelene. Here are some pics. Here's a tip. The black spigot won't unscrew. You'll have to pull it out of the plastic collar. It's also fun getting the wine box empty!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0026.JPG   IMG_0024.JPG   IMG_0025.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep, works great for XTol stock.

Actually works great.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rinse it out real good first.

I once went on a week long canoe trip and our leader used these to store drinking water. Water in them for a week had lots of wine taste to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you noticed that good wine is never packaged like this? Think about it! Cheap wine is intended to be drunk soon after it is produced. Polyethylene containers are porous to oxygen which is neither good for wine or developers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Have you noticed that good wine is never packaged like this? Think about it! Cheap wine is intended to be drunk soon after it is produced. Polyethylene containers are porous to oxygen which is neither good for wine or developers.
    Well, here at APUG we should be finishing our developer soon after it's opened to keep film manufacturers in business. Maybe it's good incentive for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Buy more wine and film developer

Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Well, here at APUG we should be finishing our developer soon after it's opened to keep film manufacturers in business. Maybe it's good incentive for that.
    I hope I don't ruin a good batch of film developer from this experiment. If it does, I'll hit the cheap wine and I won't care

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I hope I don't ruin a good batch of film developer from this experiment. If it does, I'll hit the cheap wine and I won't care
    Or just drink the developer and see what happens

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been storing my Xtol, D76 and Dektol in these for years. The 5L Franzia ones actually fit a whole 5L batch of Xtol. No problems with storing the stock solution for beyond its specified shelf life, and Dektol stays fresh-colored to the very end so I assume there is no problem with permeability. Very convenient spout, too. You just yank the spout out of its socket to refill. It becomes easier to remove after a couple times.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to hear. I'm decanting my XTOL tomorrow into the wine box. APUGers are so resourceful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I believe that some of the chems used in Frontier type mini labs come in such packages, so I can't see why they wouldn't work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin