Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,055   Online: 792

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use it at 50:1. It gives good negatives and is absolutely reliable. The absolute reliability and consistency of mixing up fresh HC110 is a big draw to me. I never have to think about how old my stock solution is, or how much of it I have left, or if its gone off, or if I've replenished enough. I just mix up and get exactly the same thing every time.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the way old d76 looks, but now I mostly use Xtol. Getting into stand development with Rodinal for pushing purposes soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    What is the minimum mL of HC110 concentrate to develop a roll of film?
    6 mL stated, 3 mL actual. Any less will develop the film, but it will be low in contrast. Sometimes you will want to starve the film of developer on purpose like this.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some times lowering contrast works to one's advantage. I've used HC-110 1:100 in stand development for long exposures. Reprocity failure causes highlights to blow out with normal development. With stand development, I agitate for a minute and let the film stand for up to an hour in the developer. The developer in the highlights gets exhausted faster than the shadows to tame contrast. This technique is not unique to HC-110 though.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am going to do a test run on some film and give HC-110 a whirl. Where do you get a syringe to draw off small amounts? Do they have them in the medical aisle at the drug store? Just wondering.

steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by singram View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I am going to do a test run on some film and give HC-110 a whirl. Where do you get a syringe to draw off small amounts? Do they have them in the medical aisle at the drug store? Just wondering.

steve
    I transfer the concentrate to a bottle with a lid that allows me to pour small quantities. Then I take a Paterson 45ml graduate and part fill it with water to something like 20ml. Then, if I need 6ml of concentrate, I slowly pour the concentrate in until the total volume reaches 26ml.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF

D76 vs HC110

I used HC110 for years because it was so easy to mix and kept so well. But I got sucked back to D76 because the tonality of the prints looks better. Now I've gone to Xtol, which seems to be like D76 only a little prettier as far as tone goes and a little more vigorous in the shadows. D76 and Xtol have both lasted just fine for me for a full 12 months in Grolsch beer bottles, the 16 ounce kind with spring fastened stoppers that have a red rubber gasket. I fill them to the brim, and use up a bottle each time I develop, no dilution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a syringe supplied with some child medicines. I actually don't see the syringes for sale on their own but I expect they must be somewhere if I look hard enough.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by singram View Post
    Where do you get a syringe to draw off small amounts? Do they have them in the medical aisle at the drug store? Just wondering.

steve
    Syringes are sold in drug stores as child medicine dispensers in the US. You can also get them cheaply at farm supply stores where they are sold for use on animals. Tractor Supply Company, 3623 North Vermilion Street in Danville should have them.

Lee

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    HC110 does last a long time but it produces negatives that are far grainier than D76.

Tips on D76.

If you choose to mix less than the full amount of powder at a time make sure the powder is homogenous as possible. In dry form the components can separate. Stir the powder before adding to liquid.

Keeping liquid: Oxygen is the enemy. Store in full, tightly sealed, GLASS containers. NO plastic. When mixing minimize the air entrapment. Stir, don't shake and don't use a high speed mixer than has a whirlpool that entraps air.
    If your HC 110 negatives exhibit more grain than D-76 you need to re-think your development procedures including temperature maintenance and agitation.

I have mixed D-76, and many other chemicals from powder by the spoonful since the 1940's. Never have I had a problem which could be blamed on separation of components. I know what the public statement by Kodak is, but a friend who is no longer with us was a physicist for Kodak and he assure me there should be no problem with my method unless the chemical had been packaged and hung vertically for several years.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin