Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,758   Online: 969

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    One question, do you wash the screen after use everytime? Even if you do your film washing in the tube, if you dont wash the screen thoroughly, you still get some residue left on the screen. Try cleaning the screen by scrubbing after you do all your development and use it again and see if you get the same pattern. Good luck.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your reply. That's a good question. I "lazily" rinse it off under running water, but I do not scrub them. Perhaps that's the problem?!? I might try cutting new sections of screen (I bought a whole darn roll of the stuff at the hardware store) and see what I end up with.

I just posted my first journal entry so I could use that to vent and quit wasting everyone's time here with that stuff - and while I was doing that, I had another interesting thought.

Out of habit, I place a yellow sponge in my sink, then place the screen on top of that. After that goes my exposed negative. It's only on there long enough for me to put the film holder down and pick up the screen and film. My darkroom is light tight. I'm wondering if there isn't just enough light reflecting off the sponge to create this grid? I develop at all different times of day - which means there'd be different amounts of light in there too. That might explain why some negs have more or less of this grid pattern.

I can't wait to get back in there and run some experiments... hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Brian

You are loading your film backwards, in the film holder and into the tank. When the notches are in the upper right hand corner, that means the emulsion is facing down. When you load your film into the holder with the notches in the upper right hand corner the emulsion is facing the septum in the holder not the lens, the way it is supposed to be. The film should be loaded with the notches in the lower right hand corner of the holder, in this manner the emulsion faces the lens and the antihalation backing is against the septum of the holder. The same holds true for loading into the tank. I imagine your images don't look right anyway because you are exposing through the antihalation backing first before it hits the light sensitive emulsion. Images that have been exposed like this have a flairy look to them, not to mention it takes many more times of exposure. If anyone else tells you differently they are absolutely wrong!!! This information comes from someone that has loaded thousands of sheets of film in the advertising photo industry.

Your images will look much better once you get the film loaded correctly.

Good luck

Greg Landrum

PS.
    There are some odd people that rotates the film so that the notches are in the upper left corner, this means that the notches are at the far end of the holder not the hinge end. The film maintains the same emulsion orientation towards the lens this way, but there is bigger chance of screwing the loading up this way because the notches are not at your finger tips at the end of the procedure.

This is an afterthought from my earlier reply. That is all based on the fact that the film is being loaded by a right handed person. Generally a right handed person lays the film holder in front of them with the darkslides on the left and the flaps on the right. A left handed person does the opposite so the flaps are on the left. When the film holder is in this orientation the film notches should be in the upper left hand corner. This follows the same logic as my PS message above. The film maintains the same emulsion to lens orientation.

Greg Landrum

Shooter
    Large Format
    You are loading your film backwards, in the film holder and into the tank. When the notches are in the upper right hand corner, that means the emulsion is facing down. When you load your film into the holder with the notches in the upper right hand corner the emulsion is facing the septum in the holder not the lens
    I beleive this is incorrect. If you are holidng a sheet of film and the notches are in the upper right hand corner, the emulsion is facing you or as you put it is on top. If it is introduced this way into the holder the emulsion is still facing away from the septum. The two possible positions in the film holder is top right hand or lower left hand when the holder is facing you.

That is absolutely wrong. There is only one correct way, with the piece of film in your hands the emulsion is up when the notches are in the lower riht hand corner or upper left hand corner. Take a piece of processed black and white film and hold it in glancing light on the two different sides and determine the emulsion side like that and then look at the orinetation of notches.

Greg Landrum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg,

It depends on the orientation of the holder. I hold mine vertical -- long axis of the holder is on the left and right and flap at top.
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Exactly, if the holder is in a vertical position or for that matter the sheet of film is being held in vertical position with your right hand. The notches are in the top right hand corner and the emulsion is facing you. I dont need to go see I used piece of film I have loaded literally thousands of sheets in 4x5, 8x10 and 12x20.

You guys are right, I have never seen a person load film like that. It seems counter intuitive to me to do that but if your film hoder is orinted like that then upper right hand corner is right.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Landrum
    You guys are right, I have never seen a person load film like that. It seems counter intuitive to me to do that but if your film hoder is orinted like that then upper right hand corner is right.
    It is funny, I got to thinking about your post and I realize you are placing the holder on the table in the "landscape" position, if done that way, you are also right, the notches are in the lower right hand corner facing the flap, I thought about it because it is how I load 12x20, so wadda you know, we are both right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin