Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,935   Online: 942

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Dektol usually is diluted 1:2 with water from the jug of stock solution. RC paper will develop in about 1 minute, fiber-based paper in 2 or 3.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thisispants View Post
    So essentially you make up Dektol, use for the session and then discard?
    Diluted, usually 1:2, yes. It will last for about 24 hrs in a tray (or until you reach it's print capacity.)

The stock will last in a well stoppered bottle for at least 2 months.
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thisispants,

where are you from ?
    some developers have ingredients more easily accessible
    if you live in the states ( like ansco 130--- glycin )
    any general paper developer like ilford or sprint ( for liquids ) or
    dektol ( powder ) will work well .. liquids are great because you only dilute them
    you don't have to deal with mixing dry chemistry to make a stock solution ..

good luck !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thisispants View Post
    What are the advantages of powder developers?

I've used D76 many times for developing film.... same principal or is it harder to mix powders for paper?

Powder developers tend to be Metol based and have a shorter tray life than developers using Phenidone or Dimezone instead.

Powdered Dektol/D72 is an MQ developer so uses Metol while Liquid Dektol (Polymax in some countries) is a PQ developer.

The big advantage of PQ based print developers is they can be sold as concentrates, have a much longer shelf life, and are more economic.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LPD
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Am I missing something, or is Dektol expensive? Going by Ag's prices, 3.8L of Dektol (mixes up to about 12L at working strength) is GBP11. 5L of Multigrade Dev is GBP20, which mixes out to 50L or 75L. For most people, the dev will be discarded after a session so Multigrade is 2-3x cheaper per session.

Obviously, I use Multigrade. It doesn't help that that (and PQ Universal) are the only paper devs I've actually seen in a shop here in AU.

Edit: oops, it looks like it's the other way around if one shops at B&H. *ponders*...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    LPD
    +1

Good stuff.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we use LPD in all my classes. It has a long tray life, and can be mixed a various ratios (as can Dektol) for various tones.

It comes in liquid form (very expensive) and powder, easy to mix .
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    For most people, the dev will be discarded.
    Not me with LPD.

Replenishment is soooo cool.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Dektol. Mixing it is no different from mixing D-76.

I then divide and store it in many 250cc bottles. Mixed 1:2 makes nice 750cc one shot solution. Stored that way, it lasts at least 6 months. I usually run out before that time, anyway.

Once mixed 1:2 and in a tray, Kodak says to keep 24 hours. But, I have put a saran wrap (not over the rim, but the wrap actually touching the fluid at all surface) and kept it that way for 3 days. The print looked identical to the first. I don't do this for keeper prints but if I'm testing something or just making contact sheet or junk prints, it's a good way to do it.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin