Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,551   Online: 949

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like Ansco 130 and LPD myself.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If Ilford produce the paper, does it not make sense that their Multigrade developer is the one to buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Dektol or Ilford Universal.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Polymax T (sold as Liquid Dektol elsewhere) for me.

I like the results, and the fact that it is a liquid you dilute 1+9 means that it is convenient and takes very little storage space.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another recommendation for LPD if tray life of the working strength dilution is important to you.

The liquid is expensive (but very convenient and lasts a long time) while the powder is not. Note that the powder mixed to stock is half the strength of the liquid so it isn't fair to compare the prices directly. Powdered LPD is mixed to stock then standard dilution of 1+2 where the liquid is diluted 1+4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LPD for me. I use it with Ilford MGVI.
    I used to use Dektol with Seagull (the old graded) and switched to LPD after getting better low end separation with a test. When I moved to MG, I just kept using it. I think it is great stuff, although, I've always been curious about Ansco 130, just never tried it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dektol is a good developer with which to start. More than a few million photographers have ended up finishing their careers with it too, it's that good.

Another alternative is Ilford Bromophen. It's a hydroquinone-phenidone formula instead of hydroquinone-metol, and phenidone is known to be more friendly to those who have sensitive skin (some can develop allergies to metol). In Canada I find that Bromophen is quite a bit more expensive than Dektol, but I like it a little better. It goes a little further (you dilute it 1:3 rather than 1:2 like Dektol). One nice thing is that it comes in metric packaging (the 1L Dektol packs are too expensive relative to the awkward US gallon size).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    You don't say where you are, as different products are sold in different places.

There are two ways to go, the powder products and the Liquid concentrates. The postage to ship the liquids is of course greater, but you can sometimes find one of more brands at a local store. Polymax liquid from Kodak, (sold as Liquid dektol in some markets) is great. Ilford Multigrade is very good. The foma liquid version is also good and may be cheaper in europe. ALso in Europe there are a few other brands.

In the US and Canada, the Liquidol sold by Freestyle Has excelent keeping properties.

Dektol is Kodak's Powder, Foma sells a smilar one. Ilford calls theirs Bromophen (sp?) Again in Europe there are a few others .

The third way is to mix from Scratch starting with the D-72 Recipe - but getting raw chmicals is hard to do in some places.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put dektol back in the bottle after use and keep using it. It will get looking like iced tea and have floaties in it. Strain it through a coffee filter and keep using it. It's good for multiple sessions over a couple months for me.

When it stops making the contrasts you want, exchange it for fresh.

If you need a liquid, Foma's liquid developer is fine by my experience. Haven't tried much else recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a big fan of Ilford PQ Universal since first trying it a few years ago. I used to use Ilford Multigrade, and Dektol before that. PQ is my favorite. It gives me slightly snappier whites, and it feels ever so slightly warmer than Dektol or MG. And it's easy as pie to use, aside from the fact that it comes in a 5L bottle that must be special ordered from some retailers.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin