Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,836   Online: 889

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are interested in helping the environment you might be interested in using a developer that does not contain hydroquinone. This chemical is particularly toxic to fish should any get past sewage treatment. There are several ascorbate based print developers on the market. If you are interested in mixing your own I would suggest Ryuji Suzuki two formulas DS-14 and DS-15. An advantage of ascorbate print developers is that they produce greater detail than hydroquinone based ones. This is because ascorbate produces less infectous development than does hydroquinone. The difference is quite striking.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-09-2011 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF

LPD

I've been very pleased with Ethol LPD. Prints look like Dektol prints, but I think maybe it keeps better, in the can, in stock solution, and in the tray 1:2. But I have not tested scientifically.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thisispants View Post
    Hi, sorry for the absurdly subjective question.

I've just bought a durst enlarger and all the gear, very excited!

Can anyone reccomend a good paper developer for Ilford MGRC paper.

Thanks!
    Late to the party as usual.

What Developer??? The SAME one, pick one and don't change no matter who tells you too, until you understand the reasons why you are changing.

In general, standardize as much as you possibly can in your materials and work flow so that the only variable becomes you!

Do as little testing as possibly and make photographs as your tests, purchase a large waste basket and don't be afraid to fill it up.

Cheers!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ethol LPD mostly 1+1 for a colder tone, occasionally 1+3 or 1+4 for warm tone. Changing the dilution of LPD changes the tone without changing the developing time. I used to use Dektol to control tone, and Selectol Soft to help control contrast when I printed graded papers. I still have a large supply of both stashed away. I'm willing to part with some if anyone wants to try them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "An advantage of ascorbate print developers is that they produce greater detail than hydroquinone based ones."

Gerald -
    greater detail in low end, mid, or highlights? Can you be more descriptive?
    Also, what do it mean, "infectous"?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you seen the thread about the developing properties of dammitol?? I use that religiously ;-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LPD or 130 if you're feeling a little richer. Both are the only developers I use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have been using caffenol c as a print developer as well as the 130 --.
    it's a little quirky but fun and environmentally friendly as well -

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    LPD or 130 if you're feeling a little richer. Both are the only developers I use.
    Same here, with Selectol-Soft when I'm using a two-bath developing system.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A simplistic explanation of the developing process would be that one hydroquinone molecule reduces one silver halide molecule. In reality the process is much more involved. Infectious development can be thought of as a chain reaction whereby more than one halide molecule is reduced. Developing agents differ in how well they they support this reaction. Hydroquinone is one of the best and ascorbate ion is one of the poorest. In addition the oxidation product of hydroquinone is itself a developing agent. This is not true of ascorbate ion. Now the extent of infectious development is effected by several factors such as developing agent, sulfite concentration and pH. It is present to some extent in all developers. The reaction is maximized in high contrast lithographic developers. It is infectious development that makes the development process practical in that it amplifies things. Without it emulsions would be very slow. As with all things photographic there is a price and that is how well fine detail is preserved. Ascorbate ion is better than hydroquinone.

Ascorbate ion produces greater detail in all portions of the negative or print. In my own experience the difference is quite noticeable between hydroquinone and ascorbate ion based develpers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin