Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,638   Online: 958

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have been using caffenol c as a print developer as well as the 130 --.
    it's a little quirky but fun and environmentally friendly as well -

john
    I would be careful in saying that a coffee based developer is environmentally friendly. You must also consider the effect of coffee growing on the environment. IIRC, rain forest is destroyed to make way for coffee plantations. In balance I think more harm is done than good. Things are never as simple as we first imagine them.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have grown found of Edwal Ultra Black, with shipping on the pricy side. Last time I was in LA I bought a case from Freestyle. Someone told me that Edwal stopped making most Photo Chem including Utra Black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All paper developers are 'best'.

Since you develop your negatives to suit your paper and paper developer combination, that is. (If you want the 'best' results).

It's all about exploiting the potential of your materials. So you don't pick your paper developer after you process your negatives. You pick your paper and paper developer first, and then you expose and process your negatives to suit the characteristics of your chosen combination.

With that said, I like the economy of replenished Ethol LPD. Lasts a very long time, and has been my paper developer of choice for years.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was checking on line to see if Ultra Black is still being sold. If by best, best means price I found B&H selling Edwal TST for $229.50, special order, seems to be high capacity but $229.50. Anyone have any experaince with TST?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Edwal TST. I use it rarely, though, for solarizations.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Images
    My favorite is LPD, replenished. I like the print quality and the economy. I can print just a couple of contact sheets, or all day long; then return the developer to the bottle, replenishing as required.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you folks who replenish LPD do this? Do you add a measured amount of fresh solution per print?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just fill my working solution bottle back to the top at the end of each session.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I would be careful in saying that a coffee based developer is environmentally friendly. You must also consider the effect of coffee growing on the environment. IIRC, rain forest is destroyed to make way for coffee plantations. In balance I think more harm is done than good. Things are never as simple as we first imagine them.
    jerry

when i suggest that it is environmentally friendly i mean that the components
    are NON TOXIC. it is coffee ( which you can drink )
    washing soda ( which is baking soda with more water )
    and vitamin c ( which you can take for a cold )

good points about the rain forest &C ... i hadn't thought about that ..
    the robusto coffee that i used for my developer is the ugly cousin
    of arabica coffee ... it is not liked by connoisseurs .. it is not shade grown &C ...
    i wonder if it is grown in the same way that the more expensive "connoisseur-coffee" is grown,
    in the plantations you mention...

i am seriously thinking of not buying anymore store bought print or film developer
    after i run out of my ansco 130 and just using coffee developer for everythng...
    i see no point in having more nasty chemicals in my house ... metol, HQ, glycin, KBr ..
    nasty ... coffee, sodium carbonate, vit c .. non-toxic.

if i could grow my own, i would ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-11-2011 at 07:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    How do you folks who replenish LPD do this? Do you add a measured amount of fresh solution per print?
    I use a JOBO. Each sheet carries off some, I just top up the beaker each pass.

At the end of the session I put the working solution in a bottle.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin