Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,221   Online: 853

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I've always used Dektol or the home brew equivalent, D-72.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I found Ethol LPD to be a Metol free, easy to use, long lasting, available, economical and tone flexible developer. For example; I stored distilled H2O mixed LPD developer in 1L hard plasic water bottles for 8 months. Last night I used developer from an unopened bottle. The developer performed normally. LPDs tray capacity is higher than Dektol and has a longer shelf life. Dilution has minor effects on image tone which is better than nothing.

Liquid concentrated developers, with the exception of ECO 4812 and Liquidol, have short (2/3 month) shelf life after breaking the seal. I wonder what you give up to get long life from liquid developers? Therefore I use LPD and 130.

I've used 130, PQ, Dektol, ECO 4812, Liquidol, Arista Liquid Developer/Freestyle, Neutral WA, Universal, ECO-Pro, and a few others. Liquidol and ECO 4812 do last a long time. I like 130 but I did get stains (glow) when the tray solution was getting exhausted. Cool temps (below 70) slow down 130's development. 130 is a bit softer than Dektol/Arista, & PQ. 130 is not the best price value.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LPD is available as liquid concentrate. Other than being more concentrated (dilute 1+4 for normal tone instead of 1+2) it seems to me exactly the same as that mixed from powder. It's more expensive, but if it's worth it to you, it's worth it to you. It's obvious, though, why the shelf life is bad. You can (with effort, it's tough plastic) squeeze the air out of the bottle and cap, but it will be un-squeezed again by the next day. Once you remove the foil seal from the top, it doesn't seal back even remotely air tight. I suspect (but haven't tried as I went to the powder) that just pouring the concentrate into your own bottles that you can cap air tight would make it last as long as that mixed from powder, maybe longer since it's more concentrated.

The only thing I don't like about LDP powder is that it dissolves reluctantly. I always seem to have a few grains of powder that just won't dissolve no matter how warm or how much I stir and I end up filtering them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I notice some floating debris when mixing Dektol and LPD. Perhaps distilled water helps. Mixing at recommended warm temps is recommended. The suspended particles desolve after a day or two.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All things considered, Dektol is hard to beat. It's cheap, gives excellent results, last reasonably long, and can be bought (as Dektol) almost anywhere or mixed from scratch (as D-72). That said, there are just too many factors that go into the choice of a print developer to give absolutes. A lot of them are matters of personal choice; some are matters of availability; some of cost; and some have to do with the technical workings of the developer with a particular paper. Dektol works reasonably well with most all papers, sort of like D-76 works well with most all films. But others have advantages, too. Liquidol is a liquid concentrate that has long life, is somewhat colder than Dektol, gives great results, but is a bit costly. There are other liquid concentrates that are not so expensive, but don't last as long and maybe do not give as good of results. If you are dealing with warm toned papers, Dektol is not the answer, and you need to look at specialized warm tone developers, which is often a very fussy choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No one mentioned Liquidol? 100L of working solution for $15, great keeping properties, liquid stock solution, 60 second developing time.

It beats dektol in every way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    All things considered, Dektol is hard to beat. It's cheap, gives excellent results, last reasonably long, and can be bought (as Dektol) almost anywhere or mixed from scratch (as D-72). That said, there are just too many factors that go into the choice of a print developer to give absolutes. A lot of them are matters of personal choice; some are matters of availability; some of cost; and some have to do with the technical workings of the developer with a particular paper. Dektol works reasonably well with most all papers, sort of like D-76 works well with most all films. But others have advantages, too. Liquidol is a liquid concentrate that has long life, is somewhat colder than Dektol, gives great results, but is a bit costly. There are other liquid concentrates that are not so expensive, but don't last as long and maybe do not give as good of results. If you are dealing with warm toned papers, Dektol is not the answer, and you need to look at specialized warm tone developers, which is often a very fussy choice.
    Dektol works fine but in my experience (this is an old thread and I think I mentioned this before and others had different experiences) spoils quickly at working strength and also stains everything in sight. LDP lasts a lot longer and stains a lot less. Those are the main reasons I prefer it.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin