Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kodak TechPan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    (easy is relative!) with better tonal respose.
    I think we both mean predictability.

From memory TechPan took off in the US for pictorial work at a tine when Adox/EFKE had been long forgotten,and wasn't being distributed properly. I found Adox in the UK market & tried it with excellent results.

But why use a very slow 35mm film on a tripod, as its far easier to use a medium format camera hand held or in my case a 5"x4" on the tripod, and get far superior results.

I now use PL25 (Adox 14) in sheet film & it's a great film I still need to learn every nuance, I know them for APX100 and TMX.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Tony,Are you sure about the 2 grams of Phenidone???

That is a lot ot Phenidone! I would expect 0.2 to 0.3 grams per liter - not 2.0.

Other than that (and the amount of Hydroquinone - 2 grams versus 6 grams), the Deitrich formulation is very similar to Crawley's FX-3 compensating developer.
    Hi Tom,
    Yes, the amount of phenidone is definitely 2 grams (Mr Deitrich specifies Phenidone "B" in his formula - not sure what "B" means?). I have mixed and used this formula (HFD-301 exactly as I originally listed) many times with good results; no streaking in even toned areas (skys etc), density range similar to a conventionally processed film, very cheap and easy to mix, and very fine grain.

Someone also mentioned the use of Rodinal to develop Tech Pan. I have tried it several times at a dilution of 1+100 for around 8 min at 20 deg C (as I recall). I found that it was ok for short range subjects (eg cloudy days), but for 'sunny day' work highlights tended to blow out. Reducing dev time to control the highlights produced a negative too thin in the shadows, so exposure would need to be increased from EI 25. It was about this time I started using HFD-301...much better results!

Regards to all
    Tony Russell

Techpan

TP can be troublesome but I don't know of any other film with the increased red sensitivity if you need it.
    There was a recent article in Photo Techniques giving some dev times
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin