Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,055   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search for Azo.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Search for Azo.

Does anyone know how to learn about photo studios going out of business? I'd like to get on mail lists of anyone who salvages these old studios. I am looking hard for a stash of the old Azo papers--not the stuff that Kodak made in Canada near the end of the Azo era. I will pay a high price for Grade 2 papers even with old expiration dates (1960s and 70s or even earlier). There must be a mountain of this paper sitting around in defunct studio basements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    email, email, email, call, call, call

Find one in a town, ask for the next, ask lots of question, etc. Find names, numbers, and institutions. That's really the only practical way to go about doing it methinks.

Also, craigslist ads in the photo sections of every big city (and small for that matter). There is not gonna be some comprehensive "list" or salvage company. Every one will be different, and it will require a good deal of luck. But luck can be coaxed out by ardent investigation.

Put on you helmet & light and go spelunking...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you posted in the Want To Buy thread? What size paper? What's a "high price"?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What do you consider old enough? Anything non-Canadian? or does it have to be old enough to have cadmium in it?
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What sizes?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I prefer the Azo that has the Green retangle next to the F2 indication. I didn't know there was Cadmium in any of the Azo papers but I'm not afraid of a little cadmium!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    What do you consider old enough? Anything non-Canadian? or does it have to be old enough to have cadmium in it?
    Some of the USA papers don't seem to separate dark values as well even though they are better than Canadian. I prefer the papers that have the green rectangle on the box label near the F2 designation. /Users/rhondalmckinney/Desktop/image001.jpg

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Azo searh

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Have you posted in the Want To Buy thread? What size paper? What's a "high price"?
    8x10 or larger. I paid $1000 for a box of 500 sheets so I'd do that again or maybe more if it were necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two boxes of 500 sheets of 8x10 unopened but they are from the last run.
    I also have three boxes of 3" x 4 3/4", each box is 500 sheets, two are unopened and one was opened by me to test the paper, about four or five sheets. It's amazing, it tested out just fine. The three are F2 glossy and must have been for a photo finisher or studio. I didn't notice the green triangle on them so they aren't what you are looking for and the size is unusual for modern sizes (assumption).

I'll probably use the 8x10 for printing carbon transfer onto.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rmckinne View Post
    Some of the USA papers don't seem to separate dark values as well even though they are better than Canadian. I prefer the papers that have the green rectangle on the box label near the F2 designation. /Users/rhondalmckinney/Desktop/image001.jpg
    The low contrast of Canadian Azo only appeared in grade 2. The grade 3 from the last run, which was made in Canada, was identical to the Rochester grade 3 (in my opinion, actually better because of its warmer color). You have to develop Canadian Grade 2 longer (1'45" to 2') but I have some negatives with extended tonal ranges that I cannot print on anything else. While I prefer the Rochester paper to the Canadian for most negatives, the Canadian has its place. I wouldn't turn it down if you find someone willing to part with it.

Are you interested only in Grade 2?
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin