Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,495   Online: 1011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even if the balls float the purpose is to take up volume with minimal weight. By floating when the bottle is inverted to pour they would not roll to the mouth of the bottle.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both. Maybe there are others who would also like to receive this interesting 'forum information'. - David Lyga.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I use hollow translucent plastic balls that were sold some twenty-plus years ago in photographic stores for precisely this purpose. They do float, but that's not a problem as they're unable to force their way out of the narrow neck of a soft plastic bottle. I normally start by just squeezing the bottle for the first third of the developer, then start cramming balls in. It then just requires a strategic finger over the top of the container when pouring developer.

On the subject of floating balls (pause for Carry On style sniggers), I'm reminded of a story told to me by my mother. Apparently during World War Two some kind of flying boat crashed on landing in Plymouth Sound. It seems that to minimise problems with leakage and accidental holing the buoyancy floats were filled with ping pong balls or something very much like them. Consequently thousands of the things were released into the sea and kept turning up on the local beaches for weeks afterwards, leading to a ping pong craze among the local kids.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All photographers that use chemistry have faced the problem with oxidation. I posted a possibility of using wine bladders for developers.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...container.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried this with 1" glass marbles in a one gallon developer bottle. Towards the end the bottle got really heavy! Then I switch for several sizes of collapsable bottles.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This website looks interesting -> http://www.cicball.com/

Polypropylene would do the trick, and they say, "Order by the trial pack, carton, bulk pack or truckload."
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    All photographers that use chemistry have faced the problem with oxidation. I posted a possibility of using wine bladders for developers.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/9...container.html
    The wine bladders are great. A good friend of mine uses them with fantastic success, as they are air tight and collapsible. Great suggestion!
    One example of chemistry stored was the illusive Edwal 12. A group of photographers used that developer collectively to compare results and ideas. When that project stopped, the developer was stored, and a year later, without use or replenishment, was as active the day it was put in its container. A practical example that shows they really do work.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Pinhole
    What would be the problem with obtaining a small cylinder from your local medical gases supplier and keeping it filled with nitrogen? Spray it into the top of your bottle when closing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cost of the bottle and regulator.
    Although that is what I and others here do use. Welding gasses are much cheaper than medical grade.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd hazard to guess that these, in the appropriate size, would be exactly what the OP is looking for.

http://cicball.thomasnet.com/viewite...lls?&forward=1
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin