Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1051

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best approach with any displacement method of excluding air is to decant into the next size smaller bottle as soon as the solution volume has been reduced enough. Even a pint bottle mostly full or marbles weighs a lot, and the surface area of the balls retains a lot of solution. A funnel with a gauze or grid insert helps to catch escaping marbles when pouring 8-)

I have seen people insert a plastic bag into a partially full chemical bottle and then use a funnel to fill the bag with plain water and displace air. The bag is then just rubber-banded over the neck of the bottle. Alright for a couple of days, but not a trick for long term use.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an argon gas wine preservation system that might work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...MWQSXCJW1Q5GGR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Thank you, but glass, for this purpose, is no better than the convenient brittle, plastic bottles, Jeffrey. This plastic bottle is available in 500ml or even 300ml, so pint size glass that you mention is not 'better'. Even with your advice the airspace would still be there as the solution is used. Even though I posted this in BW (because so many more eyes read this forum) my concern is primarily with the more vulnerable color developer. As I already stated, marbles and the plastic bottles allow me to keep the developer literally indefinitely. I am looking for an alternative to the glass marbles (in terms of a lighter material). Thank you. - David Lyga

I've always used the pharmacy glass bottle (i get them free from the pharmacy i manage) and then displaced the air with duster spray..... I've kept d76 fresh for well over a year and the c41 for about a year... The glass bottles are superior in the fact that they are better at keeping air out and light out too.... The plastic bottles made for photochems that I filled at the same time didn't last half as long....

The best part is that air weighs way less than marbles ;-)

This is just my personal experience...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dittos (again) for the glass pharmacy bottles. I have used the same bottles continuously for forty years without a problem and they are as good as new. Even half full the chemistry has lasted several months with no problem. I normally use my chemicals before they would have a chance to expire. The price was right (free) from my friendly pharmacist.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Thank you, but glass, for this purpose, is no better than the convenient brittle, plastic bottles, Jeffrey. This plastic bottle is available in 500ml or even 300ml, so pint size glass that you mention is not 'better'. Even with your advice the airspace would still be there as the solution is used. Even though I posted this in BW (because so many more eyes read this forum) my concern is primarily with the more vulnerable color developer. As I already stated, marbles and the plastic bottles allow me to keep the developer literally indefinitely. I am looking for an alternative to the glass marbles (in terms of a lighter material). Thank you. - David Lyga

Are you looking for a specific "better" solution on the principle of the thing, or does Jeffrey's proposal (with your plastic bottles) genuinely not fit your needs?

The benefit of the small bottle method is twofold:

* You can mix a gallon of chemicals, and put it into eight small 16-oz or 500ml bottles, filled to the top (no air) for storage. The one bottle in use will always have some air space, (see #2 below), but the others will not. So when you exhaust one bottle and move on to the next, and the next, and the next, it is always a fresh bottle - not an oxidized bottle that you've been using and exposing to air the whole time.

* With small bottles, for that "in-use" bottle that isn't full, you can continue to use your glass marble displacement method. Since the bottles are small, you can do this without accumulating the excessive weight that you would if you were using larger bottles, which is apparently the problem you are trying to solve... and you can always step that last bottle down (to a 300ml or smaller) at any point as well to use fewer marbles.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I read somewhere about keeping the oxygen away from the chemicals by placeing a healthy squirt of butane and sealing the container with plastic and a rubber band/s
    ans I have done this for 10 yrs with no noticable side affects the lasting times are quite long.
    my processor chem are kept in a 5litre container and as each amount is taken out the butane is squirted in and a plastic shield is placed over the screwtop and then I screw the lid on and it lasts a long time with no
    degradation of chem strength.
    I have done this with e-6 and b+w chemicals
    regards
    Bazz8

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As bazz8 mentioned, butane works well and is much less trouble than marbles. Another possible solution to the problem is using one-shot developers that you mix just before use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about using one of those wine stopper systems that suck the air out such as these - http://www.wineweaverstore.com/store...ver-black.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So can we now state with a relatively large amount of certainty that with our suggestions we have helped the OP lose his marbles?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin