Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,741   Posts: 1,515,564   Online: 956

Shooter
    Multi Format

What they will achieve...

I was looking some photos in flickr on yesterday, on description it said they used diluted developer and developing time running till 2 hours.

I was quite curious to know what kind of result they will achieve with such a long developing times.

How they determine the developing times and developer concentration for a given film speed?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do a search here on Stand Developing - there's plenty of info as to the why's and wherefore's. The most common developer for this is Rodinal diluted 1+100 to 1+200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stand development should only be used to compress the tonal scale of a contrasty subject. It is not a general purpose developing method.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-13-2011 at 01:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can also use a 'water bath' process to achieve compaction. Here, you alternately place the negative in the developer for a short time, with agitation, then move it to a tray of water, where you let it sit. If you do this back and forth, because the highlights -- where there was more exposure -- will exhaust the developer more rapidly, you can build up proportionally more density in the shadows.

The risk is that you may get uneven development and/or what is known as 'bromide drag.'
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin