Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,410   Online: 1152

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is developer.

Wait, why i blame developer? it could be something else, hhhmmmmm, maybe it is developer, hehehehe

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Is the black region at the 00 end or the 36 end?
    The black region is right at the front. The first exposure is numbered 86 or 87. The clear frames are numbered 56 to 64 with correct exposures after the last clear part of the film.

Now considering both the box and the cartiridge both show 36 exposures and I shot 36 frames, I am somewhat confused as to why the negatives finish at over 36. But, I'm assuming that that is some kind of brand-specific occurrence with Fomapan film.

I am thinking that the black area is perhaps day light exposed film which, is odd considering I loaded the camera in low-light and the first film has actually been exposed correctly in the camera.

Regarding the developer issue. I was referring to my method of developing and that perhaps I was doing something wrong in the development process; I was not-I say again-not blaming the lovely developer for it is truly wonderful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo_Gaz View Post
    The black region is right at the front. The first exposure is numbered 86 or 87. The clear frames are numbered 56 to 64 with correct exposures after the last clear part of the film.
    You had stated several times that the opaque frames were at the end. If they're at the beginning, that's perfectly normal. When you feed the film leader into the takeup spool, a couple frames worth of film are exposed to light for several seconds. Loading in "low light" doesn't matter; film is designed to be exposed, even in low light, for just a fraction of a second. Nothing unusual here.

Now considering both the box and the cartiridge both show 36 exposures and I shot 36 frames, I am somewhat confused as to why the negatives finish at over 36. But, I'm assuming that that is some kind of brand-specific occurrence with Fomapan film.
    Enough film is loaded on the spool to give you 36 good exposures, plus some extra for loading the film. It's not brand-specific. Nothing unusual here either.

Regarding the developer issue. I was referring to my method of developing and that perhaps I was doing something wrong in the development process; I was not-I say again-not blaming the lovely developer for it is truly wonderful.
    This is NOT, I repeat, NOT an issue with either the developer or the development process. Your mid-roll blank frames are caused by the shutter not opening to expose the film. It's either a problem with the camera or with the cable release.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "low" light is enough. If you can see the film at all, it's completely exposed in that area.

Since the blackening doesn't occlude the first frame, it looks like you have everything except the cable release working correctly. Try a manual exposure of 1s duration on tripod; you should hear a big noise as the mirror goes up, then tiny noises as the shutter opens/closes and a big noise again for mirror return. Try again with the cable release to see if noises are the same. If it has MLU, try also with that to see if you can identify the shutter noise.

As to the funny frame numbers, is it perhaps bulk-rolled film? I wouldn't worry about them anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Different manufacturers have used different frame numbering systems over the years to deal with issues like bulk loading or 1/2 frame cameras (72 exposures per roll) so don't worry about the edge numbers unless they are really strange (like a Fibbonaci number sequence ).

Any chance you could scan or digitally photograph a contact sheet or negative preserver page so we could see what you are talking about?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try C-41 film and have it develop at the local one-hour lap and see what happens and go from there.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    It's not the developer. Why is it that people first blame the developer and stop looking for other explanations.
    In this case not the developer, but developing methods were blaimed. And for me personally, blaming developing process makes very much sense if you're doing it for the first or second time in your life.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Any chance you could scan or digitally photograph a contact sheet or negative preserver page so we could see what you are talking about?
    Just got in from work and thought I'd check replies so I'll attach a scan in the morning.

Also, when I was referring to blank being at the front that was for my latest cartridge of Fomapan 100, I had blank film at the end of Ilfopro FP4 (the first cartridge).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jüri View Post
    In this case not the developer, but developing methods were blaimed. And for me personally, blaming developing process makes very much sense if you're doing it for the first or second time in your life.
    Thank you for your kind words....I'm sure I'll be able to blame other things soon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is a quick way to determine whether there is a camera problem. Open the back and exercise the shutter. Does it always work?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin