Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,082   Online: 901

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've searched high and low for it here in the DC area at pool supply and chemical distributors. No joy. The Chemistry Store charges about $30 to ship a 50 lb. bag to my house in Maryland. Well worth it to me.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you buy fixer from Ilford or another photography supplier you, indeed, are paying mostly for marketing and packaging. Take those two things away and you are 1) on you own finding a supplier (they won't be marketing or advertizing to you on the internet) and 2) without packaging, the product will arrive in 55 gallon drums to the port of your choice or arrive via tanker truck.

If you are getting the stuff packaged in smaller quantities from a chemical retailer with a web site, you are just taking sales away from the consumer darkroom photography industry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What does PF charge for the pentahydrate?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I've looked all over at pool supply stores and never found sodium thiosulfate. I also asked a small-time pool cleaner that I know if he had any or knew where to buy it and he had never heard of it. So at least in the Southern US, it's not easy to find as a pool chemical.
    Many of the stores don't know what they are selling. Remember these guys aren't chemists. Ask for "chlorine neutralizer." Check the MSDS first because they sometimes sell sodium sulfite for the same purpose.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Many of the stores don't know what they are selling. Remember these guys aren't chemists. Ask for "chlorine neutralizer." Check the MSDS first because they sometimes sell sodium sulfite for the same purpose.
    In the pool test kits, one uses a drop of chlorine neutralizer reagent before the pH test which would otherwise be inaccurate. The neutralizer is thiosulphate solution.

Thiosulphate is used to get rid of excess chlorine in pools, but would normally be needed very rarely, since chlorine is expensive and the much more common problem is not enough of it. So it doesn't surprise me that most pool shops don't keep big quantities of it or even know much about it. My local pool shop (Melbourne Australia) has it in small quantities at a high price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Thiosulphate is used to get rid of excess chlorine in pools, but would normally be needed very rarely,
    If you have to "shock" your pool then you are going to have a large excess of chlorine in the water. This is something we often have to do in Florida. Very humid here and there seems to be an abundance of stuff just waiting to infect a pool.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've looked all over at pool supply stores and never found sodium thiosulfate. I also asked a small-time pool cleaner that I know if he had any or knew where to buy it and he had never heard of it. So at least in the Southern US, it's not easy to find as a pool chemical.
    Ask for chlorine reducer for pools that have been overshocked.

Those words make more sense to them.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    here the old and well proven formula of Agfa A 300:
    Sodiumthiosulfate Pentahydrate: 200 g
    Sodium- or Potassiumdisulfite (Na2S2O5, K2S2O5, also called "metabisulfite")): 20 g
    Water to make 1000 ml, for film to make 800 ml.
    The Disulfite is added to make it a little bit acidic. Formulations with Only sodiumsulfite are not acidic enough to neutralize developer alkali rests. Some formulations add 10 g Sodiumsulfite, anhydrous to 1 liter, it should give a better stability against formation of sulphur.

Shooter
    Multi Format

when i was in france a few summers ago, i went to a handful of pool / spa places
    and looked at the chemicals ... no one had sodium thiosulfate.
    and here in rhode island, i called 6 or 7 pool places ( like leslie )
    no one carried it but one, i would have had to buy over a hundred pounds of it
    and he was wasn't selling it any cheaper than getting it at a chemistry place.

just get it at the chemistry store as jim suggests, it isn't worth the trouble
    of searching, wasting a day on the phone calling or going down to stores,
    and then realizing after all that work it isn't any less expensive ...

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-15-2011 at 09:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hypo is called 'chlorine lowering' chemical in the pool biz. Home pools don't bother but public pools buy it in bulk so you may need to question the bigger stores more closely as they probably aren't aware of its chem name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin