Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,215   Posts: 1,532,120   Online: 1038

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Tri-X shouldn't need fixing for more than three minutes.
    Thomas, that's not necessarily true as it depends on the fixer. If the OP is using a powder fixer then, by Kodak's own recommendation, fix time could be 5-10 minutes.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by demdrys View Post
    I ve trie dwith both fresh Ilford and Tetenal fixers at 1+4.

15 minutes might sound a bit long, yet this is how i m doing it and never had problems, until now that is. I really cant bring the temperature of all chemicals down, even the developer s temperature is increasing and i m measuring it constantly to compensate, if i see its rising fast.

When i wash, i rinse for 4 times with water, each time inverting 30 times and in the end i pour distilled water with Photo Flo, and i leave it there to settle for like 5 minutes
    Now we know that you are sometimes using Ilford fixer (and we are assuming a modern form) then we can definitely say that 15 mins is far too long. If you are using fresh HYPAM or ILFORD RAPID then fix should be achieved within 2-5 mins. (as Thomas has suggested). But if you are using the powder Ilfofix II then you need 4-8 mins.

Secondly, Ilford themselves recommend this eco-efficient rinse-agitation method to wash film fixed with Ilford Rapid :

1. fill with water. 5 inversions. dump the water.
    1. fill with water. 10 inversions. dump the water.
    3. fill with water. 20 inversions. dump the water.

All this assumes you are not using a hardener which I would guess you're not. One last suggestion would be to follow the instructions supplied with your chemicals, and less of the improvising

btw. Has anyone even established that the extended fixing time might actually be causing the symptoms?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    Secondly, Ilford themselves recommend this eco-efficient rinse-agitation method to wash film fixed with Ilford Rapid :

1. fill with water. 5 inversions. dump the water.
    1. fill with water. 10 inversions. dump the water.
    3. fill with water. 20 inversions. dump the water.
    Interesting. Is that to be used with a washing aid (hypo clearing agent)? Or sufficient on its own?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monito View Post
    Interesting. Is that to be used with a washing aid (hypo clearing agent)? Or sufficient on its own?
    On it's own, according to Ilford's FACT SHEET for Rapid Fixer, dated August, 2002.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.datsun View Post
    Thomas, that's not necessarily true as it depends on the fixer. If the OP is using a powder fixer then, by Kodak's own recommendation, fix time could be 5-10 minutes.
    That's true. I live in my own head sometimes and automatically think that everybody uses a rapid fixer. Standard fixers take about twice as long as rapid fixers.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin