Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Selenium toning underdeveloped negatives?

In trying to avoid overdeveloping a roll of PanF Plus, I wound up pretty badly under developing it. There's not much past a zone V or VI on any of the negs.

Now I was really excited about these shots (leave it to me to experiment on such a roll), and I was wondering if it would be possible to use selenium toner to pull the highlights in and make them a bit more printable.

I have a bottle of Kodak Rapid Selenium, I was thinking a low dilution (maybe 1+3), how long might be a good starting point (I'll just do it in the inversion tank).
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfratt View Post
    In trying to avoid overdeveloping a roll of PanF Plus, I wound up pretty badly under developing it. There's not much past a zone V or VI on any of the negs.

Now I was really excited about these shots (leave it to me to experiment on such a roll), and I was wondering if it would be possible to use selenium toner to pull the highlights in and make them a bit more printable.
    If it is severely underdeveloped you would be missing the shadows, zones I - IV wouldn't you?

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The shadows are on the thinner side, and I'd imagine a few negatives will be gonners either way, but a few do have enough shadow detail to be printable if I can get some more density in the highlights.

I'm trying to tone them now, using an inversion tank and 1 part selenium to 9 parts hypo clear. We'll see how this works out...
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I started with 100ml+900ml for about twenty minutes, minimal effects. Added another 100ml of selenium for another 20 mins, which started to add density, then went to 1+3 selenium which pulled them down a bit more.

Nothing like what I was hoping for though. Highlights are still maybe a Zone VI, touching on VII at best.

But they should be printable no less. So we'll see what happens when they dry and I can get them in the enlarger.

What would happen if I were to go with a high dilution and let it stand for a while, maybe giving it an inversion every half hour or so?
    ~ Michelle

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was under the impression that selenium toning for negatives only enhanced contrast. Does this process help with underdeveloped negs?
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It intensifies proportionately based on the amount of metalic silver that is already present. With a "normal" negative you can get the equivalent of about N+1 expansion depending on the film. But it does essentially nothing in very thin areas where there is little silver to begin with. As is always the case, you can't increase shadow detail where none exists in the first place.

The Selenium should be used quite concentrated for negative intensification - usually 1+1 or 1+2. If there is enough density in the negative to begin with it works quite well for a moderate increase in contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will it work on pyro-stained negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't use tanning/staining developers so I have no first hand experience, but I would not recommend it. Selenium toner contains sodium sulfite, and sulfite reduces stain, meaning you'd actually lose printing contrast and density. Even if that were not the case, based on how Selenium works on metallic silver, I would assume it to have a more limited effect on a pyro negative anyway since a pyro negative derives some of its optical density from stain, not just silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have tried both selenium toning and bleach and redevelopment intensification, but results were always disappointing. There are some interesting intensification formulas in the Darkroom Cookbook. I am getting ready to move and all my books are packed or I'd look a few up for you. I've heard of folks using sepia toner. That real reddish brown color may help some. These days when I have a photo I like, but the negative has problems, I go the hybrid route. if you have decent shadow info, that may work. I've even gone so far as to make digital (sorry for the D word) masks for analogue negatives. This works for large format contact printing only.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried to print them on a high contrast paper? If you have flat negatives with good shadow detail you might get some nice prints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin