Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,142   Online: 1047

Shooter
    35mm RF

Closest Ilford film to Fuji Acros.

Greetings,

I have been using hi-speed Ilford films since 1963, starting with the HP3 up to today's HP5+; main interest is street photography. Sometimes for sceneries or still photography I used the Panatomic-X while it was available, then the FP4 for many years. Since a few days I am trying Fuji Acros in D-76, resulting in beautiful silvery mid- and light grays and resolution not short of what I used to get with the Panatomic-X for example. Also I prefer its tones to the ones of the FP4. My inquiry: Is the Delta 100 comparable to the Acros as far as the tonal range and sharpness are concerned? Thanking in advance for your insightful comments.

Regards,

Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    from what i've seen - tmax 100 and delta 100, acros certainly has its own look. even developed in three different developers - pyrocat m, rodinal 1:100 and fx-1, acros still bears in strongly with its look, albeit affected by the developer. i hope someone chimes in with an equivalent combination. i'll certainl be trying it!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that they are the same, but I guess if you want an Ilford "equivalent" to Acros it would be Delta 100 since they are both tabular grained films. Sharpness is very similar. Delta 100 is a little faster and a little grainier, whereas Acros appears to have a slightly tighter grain pattern. Acros uniquely has nearly no reciprocity failure in exposures up to around two minutes, and relatively little compensation is required beyond that. Delta's macro tonal scale (and tmax 100) is closer to FP4 than Acros, particularly in areas of higher exposure where Acros oddly shows increased contrast on the upper part of the characteristic curve before shouldering off. So it would be reasonable to say Acros has its own look, compared with Delta 100 and TMAX. I've done a lot of comparitive testing of these films recently.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 07-17-2011 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Doesn't look like Acros, but what I absolutely -love- for the type of photographic subjects you mentioned is;

Delta 400, shot at 100, pulled in Xtol Replenished @ 24 celsius for 5 minutes with minimal agitation (2 very gentle inversions every minute). It looks completely different to Delta 400 @ 400.

I think the oddly higher spectral sensitivity of Delta 400 compared to other pan films contributes too.

Not my image, this is one I developed for someone else. His flickr stream is here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/defty/

There's no dark room or digital manipulation, just dMax to white and dMin to black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are slight differences in tonal representation between Acros and Delta 100. But unless someone actually tells me which is which I can't really tell a difference in a print.

The best place to start would be Delta 100. You might get a slightly different color rendition with Acros as well. If I remember correctly, it has a bit decreased red sensitivity compared to other panchromatic films.

For portraiture, try shooting Acros at EI 400 and push process in Xtol 1+1. Gives a completely different result than from shooting at box speed, but boy does it look nice. Since Delta 100 is a little faster than Acros, you should be able to use it as such as well.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My gratitude to all posters who had indulged to reply in great detail. Much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bob

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin