Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,150   Online: 819

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I supose that you live in the UK as you give the price in £ . If you are in London you can get HP5+ in 120 size for £4.80 minus 30% at Silverprint if you buy 10 rolls or more. That would be £3,36 per roll. Nowadays you need to plan your film/paper/chemicals purchase more careful in order to get the best prices.
    Good Luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=2235
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried Foma when it was first being introduced in the US and they were sending evaluation samples to select photographers including those that taught. My results for 100 and 400 were as good as with Kodak and Ilford that I shot at the time. The results were slightly different in test exposures taken with the corresponding Ilford that I tended to mostly use. By adding a very light yellow filter the Foma visually equal or exceeded the Ilford taken with no filter. I eliminated the varables by loading backs for my Bronica and simply doing a quick swap. Also, compared 120 to 35mm as many times there is a difference. In this case I loaded the 35mm into my 35mm backs so the camera, light meter (AEII) and lens variable was taken out of the picture (no pun intended) and there were differences in the contrast range and dynamics. Generally, the 120 did better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    At the higher speed, since you started out looking for HP5+, I've shot a little bit of Fomapan 400 and found it to be OK. (This was in 120; I would imagine it's awfully grainy in 35mm.) I didn't feel like it had anything really special that set it apart from Tri-X and HP5+, except the price tag, and never shot enough of it to really wring it out and get a feeling for how it behaved in a variety of conditions.

-NT
    Actually, the Foma 400 isn't grainy at all. I have TRIED to make it more grainy in 35mm, but am basically unable to get it to look super grainy.

The attached picture is a print in 9" x 12" size, Foma 400 film, rated at EI 200, and processed in Edwal 12 chemistry. Most people think it's from a medium format negative. Even in Rodinal it doesn't look excessively grainy at all.

The 400 also exhibits some pretty interesting halation when used in situations where very bright and very dark areas meet in the negative. This gives a type of 'glow' that is reminiscent of infrared film use to an extent. Some people like this, and others detest it.
    Edit: this last bit applies to the 35mm version only. 120 is not like this at all, strangely enough.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails door_at_bay_20.jpg  
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 07-20-2011 at 01:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    127 Format
    I like the Foma films in 120. I haven't tried the Kentemere brand yet but I think that may also be a cost effective choice.

Last week I ran my first roll of 120 Fomapan 400. Wow, I think I love that film.

Of course my favorite is Kodak's Plus-X (RIP)
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, hairday.
    Sooo..are you a good hairday or a bad hairday?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They don't make the Kentmere films in 120, do they? If so, that would be another option.

I shot a few rolls of Kentmere 100 last year, when the price of FP4+ had spiked, and felt like it was OK for the price but noticeably inferior to its "higher-class" cousin.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Welcome to APUG, hairday.
    Sooo..are you a good hairday or a bad hairday?
    Does that joke make sense outside North America?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    HP5 in 120 is £3.48 at Ag Photographic: http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/hp5...-film-63-p.asp
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember hearing Steven Schaub from his Figital Revolution podcast mention that overexposed Fuji Superia store film is actually pretty good.
    I've been using Fuji Superia 400 and 200 as my go-to cheap film (for 35mm). It's readily available at London Drugs and other stores and I can buy in larger packages at package price. Combine that with a reasonable C-41 lab and I'm good to go!

The trick? Overexpose that sucker. I expose Fuji Superia 400 at EI200 (going more towards EI250 now since it gets a little oversaturated sometimes)and Superia 200 at about EI100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even in the UK I think that Ilford FP4 & HP5 is the best value film you can buy.
    You can find cheaper film and have tried some sheet film from Europe but to me it was not fit for purpose and poor value.
    J.
    I prefer it in the dark.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin