Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,094   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A long drip time could be the problem, I've been using the following all evening with Ilford MGIV 8x10 glossy, 90 sec face down in Dektol 1:2 at 68-70F, inc a 5-10 sec drip time, 30 sec in a 1/2% stopbath and then into the fixer. Works perfectly.

Edit: Forgot to add: Constant agitation in the dev.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had long develop times in the past
    cause this but I'll
    give it a shot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think an example for us would help a lot. Do you have a digital camera you can use to shoot one of the messed up prints?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You are letting the print drip for one minute before going into the stop bath?????

Yikes

Quote Originally Posted by thedeuk View Post
    at least 3 minutes. including drip definitely 4 minutes. so frustrating when the final prints get screwed up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    “Dark swirls” on prints is called mottling. It happens particularly on fiber based prints that are developed for too short a time or poorly agitated or in the wrong developer.

It’s quite common with RC or FB paper when prints are mistakenly placed into film developer instead of the proper paper developer. It might also happen if the developer was accidently contaminated with something that doesn’t belong.

RC paper needs 60 seconds or longer for proper development in standard print developers such as Kodak Dektol or Ilford Multigrade Developer.

FB paper needs 2-3 minutes in standard developers. The makers claim it can be as short as 1.5 minutes but this can give problems.

Papers developed in warmtone developers, such as Ilford’s Harman Warmtone Developer need about twice the developing time of standard developers, and of course, proper agitation is important to prevent mottling.

See item #6 here

http://www.subclub.org/darkroom/henry2.htm

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Saying it is ok, does not mean it is the best way.

Yes , one can use water for a stop bath, but it should be running. And unless the ph of the fixer requires only water, experince and testing has shown a stop bath is a more successful way to stop development.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    help. i'm getting dark swirls on my prints out of the developer. i notice them as soon as i can turn the light on to see them in the fix. i'm using dektol with clayton odorless fix, no stop bath. i wasn't getting them at first but now am. could i be that i didn't scrub the bottom of the developer tray the last couple times? even though they're being processed image up? if so should i scrub the bottom of the fix tray too? the swirls are long and look as stripy. they look like water lines.
    You are getting swirles because you aren't stopping development prior to fixing. Even if you are dipping into a tray of water you can get swirles. The water must be running to carry away any developer remaining on the print. If you are just using a tray of water the developer builds up in it and the image is still developing. Fom your post, I get the impression you are going straight from developer to fix, big no no, the developer is still active even after one minute of draining. Stop bath is cheap, use it. Your fixer will last longer, and you will eliminate swirles.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Prints should be slipped into developer emulsion up, narrow edge leading. Do not float and push down.

Agitate enough. Continuous works well.

If you float emulsion down, I could see how you get what you do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really need an acid stop bath for FB papers because developer is absorbed into the base. A water rinse is fine for film and RC papers.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no stop bath.
    If that was an experiment to see what happens, I think you have an answer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin