Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,900   Online: 1079

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear thedeuk,

Years ago I had a problem that sounds similar. I was agitating with print tongs and not paying attention to what I was doing. The tongs were running across the surface of the paper causing the marks.

Good luck with the resolution of your problem,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    thanks for all your replys. they're not tong marks. definitely something to
    do with chemicals because they look like water lines. I was using stop bath until lowell told me not too because the clayton odorless fix is a stop bath too. since I was using clayton stop bath I listened to him. plus he actually knows what's happening in the chemicals. I just follow directions. I'll try going back to a stop bath though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know that Clayton offers odorless stop and odorless fix, but am unaware that the fixer incorporates stop in it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What paper are you using?
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmmm, seems to be a typical ammonium thiosulfate, sodium bisulfite fixer with a ph of 5.2. Not very acidic compared to a fresh acetic acid stop bath.

Is your fixer almost exhausted?
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no it's fresh. and ilford fiber multi iv matte and gloss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actions:

1. Please just try the acid stop bath, regardless of what the fixer manufacturer says.

2. Submerge the print by sliding it, short end first, into the developer (emulsion side up).

3. Agitate continuously for at least the first 30 seconds, making sure the developer covers the entire print surface.

4. Let the paper stay in the developer for two minutes or more, agitating at least every 15-20 seconds.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i'm gonna start printing again in an hour with a stop bath. the first two prints i did with the stop have no marks. very frustrated that 7 16x20 final's i've done have these marks and are unusable. luckily i made multiple copies of each. i have at least one good one of each except for one image which i have to do over completely. i have a show coming up and have spent 9+ hours a day in the darkroom all week. ahhh! now i have to do 4 today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    out of curiosity thomas. why short end first?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    may I add , drain print for 8 seconds no more can be less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Actions:

1. Please just try the acid stop bath, regardless of what the fixer manufacturer says.

2. Submerge the print by sliding it, short end first, into the developer (emulsion side up).

3. Agitate continuously for at least the first 30 seconds, making sure the developer covers the entire print surface.

4. Let the paper stay in the developer for two minutes or more, agitating at least every 15-20 seconds.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin