Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,287   Online: 1120

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Italian Gevaert (Agfa) Panchro 620 pink paper label

OK - the plot thickens...

Shot a roll at ISO 100 of several pieces of gray-to-black matboard & measured EV 7-11. Set camera at 9.4-ish (1/25 and f/5.6), then 1/10 and 1/5 and 1/2. First three frames made horrible noises while winding. Repeated same 4 exposures again (6x9 for 8 exp). Later found they were shredded.

Did roll at 7 minutes at buddy lab in Tmax developer (that's what they use).

Advise was 6 minutes and ISO 50 for next roll. No visible fog (not measured on densitometer) in my opinion.

Does 'nailing' the correct film manufacturer allow id'ing it's age better? Acetate more brittle than polyester?

Someone suggested 'flame test' to id acetate.

I'm just curious how old it is now that I see it's useable.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The *really* old films were on a nitrocellulose base - a.k.a. "cellophane" or "celluloid". The burn test is valid - if it burns with a clear, yellow flame, with little ash and no "smoldering", it is most probably nitrocellulose. I recently processed a roll of film discovered in an antique shop - Ansco "Plenachrome" - and that was "nitro". Kodak advertised its departure from nitro by edge marking its film as "Kodak Safety Film". Nitrocellulose was first developed as a substitute for ivory in the making of billiard balls; it is also the primary ingredient in "smokeless" gun powder. Many Motion Picture Theaters - Cinemas - burned to the ground when the nitro film in the projector ignited from the heat of the projection lamp - thus the concern with "Safety."
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin