Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,744   Online: 869

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Foma Pan 100 120 Negs are Blue, 135 Negs Are Clear?

Hi Everyone,
    I just hung up my first roll of 120 Foma Pan 100 to dry. To my surprise the negs have a bright blue tint to them. I've seen slight pink tints on some of my other films (Pan F+ I believe) but not like this. Did I mess up the processing? I pre-soaked for a minute (the water poured out blue-green) Rodinal 1+100 for 7 minutes, two one minute rinses in plain water for stop, then 6 minutes in fresh TF-4 fix. Then a hour long soak for five minutes, dump, and refill for the wash. Negs look nice otherwise. What's really odd is that about a month ago, I shot a 135 roll of Arista Edu 100 which is supposed to be the same film, but it did not have the blue tint. I processes this roll the same as the 120 roll. Any idea or suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Marc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    normal, this is the film base.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    35mm
    Strong colour cast on film base may indicate underfixing.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to shoot a lot of Foma and the base is always blue. I have no idea why but it's normal as far as I can tell.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Correct, the 120 is blue, and 135 is clear. I have both, and was disappointed the 35mm wasn't blue.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They need to put a warning on the box or something; I think everyone who's ever shot Fomapan in 120 has had this same "WTF?" moment.

It's clear in sheet sizes too. I don't know what's different about 120 that leads them to use this rather odd base.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    They need to put a warning on the box or something; I think everyone who's ever shot Fomapan in 120 has had this same "WTF?" moment.

It's clear in sheet sizes too. I don't know what's different about 120 that leads them to use this rather odd base.

-NT
    Totally agree.

The first time I developed Foma in 120 I thought I did something really wrong and jumped on the internet looking for help.

I wonder how many people go through this, assume there is a defect in the film, and never use Foma again as a result.

Now days I love the blue color. I think it's rather nice looking

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to know. I have 10 rolls of the stuff and would have been a bit concerned with the first roll.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At one time I tought about getting a 220 back for my RB67, now I'm glad I didn't!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no guarantee that just because the name of the films are identical that the film is actually the same across the different formats. It is not suprising that the bases are different considering the different mechanical considerations required for the different formats.

Not only the film base may be different but the emulsions may also be different. Note the emphasis on the word may. As an example Kodak Tri-X and Tri-X Professional. This was discussed on an old thread.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-25-2011 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin