Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,551   Posts: 1,544,882   Online: 930

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    My rolls of CN200 (a colour negative) have a label with written "made by Agfa Belgium", Agfa is written with the red rhombus. "Produce and license holder Maco Photo Products". I suppose that Agfa "Belgium" still manufactures films for Maco. Maco runs the enterprise, Agfa acts as a "mere" manufacturer. That might be the case for APX film.

Agfa Belgium might continue to manufacture it for Maco, presumably with the same recipe, the same coating machine, and so to speak the same personnel as before, just as they manufacture CN200 for Maco.

The Agfa demise, with various splits, failures etc. make for very complicated right claims about Agfa trademarks. See the confusion concerning Rodinal, which is available with an identical formula (if I get it right) under a different name, and maybe under the same name but with another formula.

So there might be a film which really is APX100 even though branded in a different way, and there might be a film which is branded APX100 but it is a different product.

For what I gather we have:

Agfa-Gevaert, aka Agfa Belgium, which has the rhombus as trademark. site: www.agfa.com. They manufacture film for Maco; They claim in their site that they have nothing to do with AgfaPhoto.

FAQ n. 11:

What is the relationship between the Agfa-Gevaert Group and AgfaPhoto?
    Agfa-Gevaert sold its worldwide “Consumer Imaging” business group in 2004 to the AgfaPhoto group of companies (not affiliated with Agfa-Gevaert). In connection with that sale, a Trademark License Agreement, dated November 2, 2004, was entered into between Agfa-Gevaert NV and Agfa-Gevaert NV & Co. KG, as Licensors, and AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH, as Licensee, giving AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH, a German company having its registered office in Cologne, Germany, the right to use and to sublicense the trademark “AgfaPhoto” for products having a photographic application, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Trademark License Agreement. Agfa-Gevaert declines any liability whatsoever with respect to or in connection with any “AgfaPhoto”-product. Agfa-Gevaert does not manufacture, market, distribute or sell any “AgfaPhoto”-products. Agfa-Gevaert does not provide any service, any support or any product warranty with respect to any “AgfaPhoto”-product. Any request for support or information regarding “AgfaPhoto”-products should be addressed to AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH, www.agfaphoto.com

(underlining is mine)

AgfaPhoto, a German firm, unrelated to Agfa-Gevaert. site: www.agfaphoto.com. They have the "red dot" as trademark. They list APX100 and APX400, and Precisa film. I have no idea who manufacture those, but I assume it's not Agfa-Gevaert as per the above quotation. In the specification sheets, AgfaPhoto say "AGFA [rhombus] is used under license from Agfa-Gevaert AG" but was not updated since 2003 (perhaps not by chance). The technical characteristics of film are updated to 1994 and imply manufacturing by Agfa-Gevaert AG, but at that time AgfaPhoto did not exist.

So Agfa-Gevaert APX100 is probably not any more around under that brand, but can be around as a film produced by Agfa-Gevaert and sold by Maco, just like CN200. AgfaPhoto APX100 is around but it is not produced by Agfa-Gevaert.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Amazed that this issue is still so confusing. Agfa-Geveart used to make film at both Leverkusen Germany, and in Belgum. They sold their "consumer business" to a start up and licenced the AGFA Photo name. AgfaPhoto made a large quanity of film, and then sold the German coating plant for the underlying real estate, The Plant was demolished and is no more. Various firms bought some of the equipment, (Including ILFORDS new packaging line.)

AgfaPhoto went bankrupt and the rights to various products were auctioned off. Agfa Gevaert tried to get the rights to the AgfaPhoto name back but where unsuccessful, hence the rather cold explanation on their web site.

There was a lot of APX film, mostly in unlabeled bulk rolls at the time Agfa Photo went under. It was sold under several brands, Maco Photo sold it as their RETRO brand.

Maco also buys various "commercial FIlms" made by Agfa Geveart, Noostly intended for Aerial Photography, and packages then for still photography. Agfa Geveart only makes Film on an Polyester base, and their Colour negative films do not have any Mask (no orange colour) Some of the Black and white films have more red (and Infrared) sensitivity than regular films.

Another German firm has said that they will make a "replacement" for APX, but the list of "Improvements" they claim means that they are unlikly to make anything that is similar.

I am down to a dozzen rolls which will likly be gone before the end of the yaer.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    Some further information.

The firm which went bankrupt in May 2005 is AgfaPhoto GmbH. AgfaPhoto Holding GmbH is a "normally alive and kicking" firm in Leverkusen.

In their site they claim "AgfaPhoto is used under license of Agfa-Gevaert NV & Co. KG or Agfa-Gevaert NV" which means, I suppose, that sooner or later the AgfaPhoto license will expire and it will come back to Agfa-Gevaert. Unless AgfaPhoto can claim some sort of "perpetual" license

As an added information, chemicals for film treatment are sold under the brand AgfaPhoto. They are produced according to original AGFA recipes by Connect Chemicals Productions & Services GmbH, which took over the former AGFA plant in Vaihingen in January 2008.

http://www.agfaphoto.com/appc/conten...f9d3b9fbeec6eb

That means there is another European chemistry producers most of us are unaware of. They might sell products for minilabs only, though.
    They quote a site www.minilabfactory.de which in fact redirects to this site:
    http://www.saal-group.com/
    That seems quite "minilab-oriented". I wish them well.

This generally begs the question:

The APX film we see branded AgfaPhoto, is the old film produced by AgfaPhoto GmbH before failure announced in May 2005, or is it some re-branded film produced by somebody else? (We already know it cannot be Agfa-Gevaert anyway).

AgfaPhoto GmbH went bankrupt in May 2005. Is it possible that this film is 6-years-old stock? The offer includes photographic paper, colour film, disposable cameras. I suppose they re-brand new production produced by somebody else by now.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Current Agfa Precisa CT100, which I have purchased in the last month, is labelled "Made in Japan".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same with Afga Vista 200. I just purchased this film in a german Supermarket. The packing is 'Agfa with a red dot'. The plastic container seems to be the same model Fuji uses. And the cartridge carries the phrase "Made in Japan". Any questions to be asked?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still have some 4x5 frozen. I almost hate to thaw it and use it, since I'll never get any more of it. Lovely film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    cmacd123... There was a lot of APX film, mostly in unlabeled bulk rolls at the time Agfa Photo went under. It was sold under several brands, Maco Photo sold it as their RETRO brand.
    On the Retro 100 its says Made in Germany

Agfa-Gevaert N.V. (Agfa) still manufacture films.., much better than the original APX. Its business-to-business thing, so companies like Rollei are wrapping it in a nice packages for us, so that we can enjoy them:
    Agfa Copex Rapid
    Rollei Retro 80S
    Rollei Retro 400S
    Rollei Infrared 400S
    Rollei ATP
    to name a few
    Last edited by georg16nik; 07-31-2011 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Gim

APX is gone. Get over it. From now on out it is just marketing. It's gone, gone, gone.

jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The future is the same as other expired and discontinued film at the moment, mostly expensive on the 'bay!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just don't mention APX25!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin