Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,177   Online: 972

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

APX film - what's the future?

2 years ago I was very surprised to find a new film (new for me...), the apx 100 and 400, available for sale, in grey packaging for both speeds.

I fell in love right away.

Unfortunately I could not shoot for 2 years (life can be cruel that way...) and, lo and behold, no apx any more!

To be precise: apx 100 is still sold, but only by fotoimpex. apx 400 is dead and fotoimpex/adox says we will make it again, under a different name.

To confuse matters further, macodirect sells an "apx equivalent".

Can somebody be kind enough to tell me:

- what film is really the same of the apx 100 and 400 that I bought in the grey boxes

- how long the apx 100 in the grey boxes will still be around, now that they have discontinued the apx 400

- how "equivalent" are the macodirect ones.

- how long we can hope all of these things to be around

Many thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Agfa_APX_100_135_36.jpg   Agfa-Agfapan-APX-400-Black-white-print-film-135-35-mm-ISO-400-36-exp-0.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The APX films were made by Agfa. I agree they were excellent. When Agfa ceased its photographic business, their stock of film both cut and in the form of uncut rolls was sold. The amount of film in the uncut rolls was extensive but when it is sold then that's the end. I don't know if Agfa sold the rights to its emulsion technology. So perhaps another company might duplicate these films.

Agfa was a top tier manufacturer along with Kodak, Ilford, and Fuji. Even if some else has the emulsion formula I would seriously doubt that a new product would be as good.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-29-2011 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    Can somebody be kind enough to tell me:

- what film is really the same of the apx 100 and 400 that I bought in the grey boxes
    Today? The apx 100 and 400 that I bought in the grey boxes. Period. Everything else is just marketing bla (read: lies, unfair competition, plain BS).

- how long the apx 100 in the grey boxes will still be around, now that they have discontinued the apx 400
    No idea, but it seems there are still many films in the storehouses. They are still available, and they are pretty cheap - well, 35mm only.

- how "equivalent" are the macodirect ones.
    Based on facts or from a 'marketing point of view'?

- how long we can hope all of these things to be around
    A company in Germany purchased some Agfa machines and promises to restart production as "Adox Pan" films. So far, they made a first coating, ISO 400 film only, and it's sold out. Since then... calm is the sea.

PS, futur(ama) will tell you more about marketing for films:

The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At one time there was a long thread about the start up of re-making these films, but I just can come up with it. I thought it was in my subscriptions, apparently not. Seems like it started a year ago or so and recently posted within the last couple of weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum249/...apx-400-a.html

And, I should add that I agree with Jerry about the reformulation of this film. Just because you have the emulsion recipe and a coating line doesn't mean that you can automatically make APX 100 and 400 of the same quality and consistency that Agfa could.
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 07-29-2011 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AH, Thank You Thomas! I will not loss it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rollei Retro 100 sold by Macodirekt.de is Agfa APX 100 with a different name. If you buy a bulk roll of Rollei Retro 100 you can still read "Agfa APX 100" in the perforation. I've used it for many years and have a nice stockpile at home because it won't last long before it's gone forever.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the essentials is experienced people to run the coating machine. I read of one engineer who could tell if everything was going well just by the sound that the machine made. Coating is done in complete darkness. He would also feel the film edge as it went by. So it's not only technology that can be lost.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mablo View Post
    Rollei Retro 100 sold by Macodirekt.de is Agfa APX 100 with a different name. If you buy a bulk roll of Rollei Retro 100 you can still read "Agfa APX 100" in the perforation. I've used it for many years and have a nice stockpile at home because it won't last long before it's gone forever.
    Forever may already be here... I see no bulk rolls for sale there, just single and twin packs, mostly in boxes of lots of them.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But the APX in the grey boxes is not the same at all!

It depends on the type of logo which is used on the boxes. As long as the box and the catridge are marked with an orange-red rhomb you have original Agfa Leverkusen films produced AND packed before 2005 closure.

After that time only the "Agfaphoto" text in association with the 'red seonsor dot' is used this licensed by Agfa Holding (just check a new grey box, if you have one available). From this time on the film produced in 2005 was and still is packed from a company different to AGFA Leverkusen, and to my point of view it does not meet the quality AGFA with the rhomb has delivered all the years. I have an Idea where the are packed into cartridges but I don't want to start rumors at all.

According to several statements in different german fora MACO has purchased its stocked material (which is sold as "RETRO 100") before the closure of Leverkusen plant.

Here in Germany you can get APX100 with sensor dot at some durgstores (DM as an example) and at mail order comapnies (I mean the 'usual suspects'). I bought my last box from Fotoimpex at Berlin at the bginning of 2011. But it might be easy to check, wehre these films are still available.

For me APX100 ist a still great film and I regret that the 120 version is not available any more.

Martin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin