Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,639   Online: 756

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I'm still shooting my stash of TMY original. It's pretty good, too.
    Oh yes. I'm sure you can measure differences between them. Funny story - I had ten rolls of the old TMY stored among my newer TMY-2, and I forgot that I did. So I happily fired off the frames, processed and printed, and it wasn't until I actually looked at the film rebate that I noticed that I was using the older film. The differences are, to me, fairly subtle, and even an A/B comparison doesn't tell me much between prints. I consider the old TMY and the new TMY-2 to be equals.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

I prefer the tonal rendering of Tri-X in X-tol
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using TMY-2 exclusively in 120 for 2 years now. I shoot at 320 and develop in Xtol straight for 6:15 in a Jobo. The negatives are truely beautiful. At 6x magnification the grain is very very small, and tonality is great. I've been using TMX in 4x5 and I can't say the same thing about it. I'll be switching to TMY-2 in 4x5 in the next few weeks.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This film was my first and most used film for tests, i've got really nice results out of TMAX developer, D-76 and Ilfosol 3 did great job as well but not as TMAX, but i hope to test it with HC110 and XTOL and see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot Tri-X 120 for many years souped in D-76 1:1 and later in Xtol replenished. I finally tried TMY-120 in Xtol replenished almost a year ago. Incredible stuff. I still have a large stash of VP120 I use for sunlit shots. When that goes I'm going to shoot TMY exclusively.

MP30
    Hudson Division

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The one thing tha has gotten better in time is the film. T-grain films are amazing and TMax is wonderful stuff to use. Shame papers stink now, bring back AGFA Record Rapid adn we'd have it all.

The other reason I like TMax other than its fantastic sharpness n lack of grain it is for the thicker base material it is made of. Tri=X, my old favorite, seems so thin n flimsy compared to TMax films. Anyone else notice this?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Basically I have settled on Tri-X for bright sunny days. The shoulder roll off holds highlights forever and I still think it's one of the best looking film stocks around. There is something about the contrast of TMY-2 in bright sunlight that I don't like. I use Barry Thornton's 2-bath to keep the contrast under control.
    Nothing wrong with the Tri-X if you like that. I've found a way to make TMY-2 work in bright sun though. PMK tames highlights quite differently than most developers and it's my favorite all around developer now for TMY2 (exposed at iso 320) except for overcast/rainy/snowstorm shooting when I go back to xtol.; I haven't tried the Thornton 2-bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great film! The extra fixing time is definitely worth while.

I shoot TMY2 in 120 at ISO 200 and develop in Rodinal (Adonal) 1:100 for 15 minutes. I always make one extra exposure a stop faster. It seems like the negative I print is usually the faster neg... which means I'm getting box spead out of this combo and that surprises the hell out of me. (Other films are usually half box speed (and sometimes I open up the aperture) so do not believe it's a shutter issue...)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Nothing wrong with the Tri-X if you like that. I've found a way to make TMY-2 work in bright sun though. PMK tames highlights quite differently than most developers and it's my favorite all around developer now for TMY2 (exposed at iso 320) except for overcast/rainy/snowstorm shooting when I go back to xtol.; I haven't tried the Thornton 2-bath.
    PMK is a pyro developer if I am not mistaken. If this is the case than it is too toxic for my taste (but apparently delivers great results.)

Barry Thornton's 2-bath is a variation of the old Stoekler 2-bath, that has been reformulated for todays thinner emulsions. Works very, very well with high contrast scenes (and TMY-2) and is quite fool proof. Very simple to make.

Barry Thornton's 2-bath

Bath A
    80 g sodium sulfite
    6.5 g metol
    Make up to 1 L with water

Bath B
    12 g sodium metaborate (Kodalk)
    Make up to 1 L with water

3-4 min in each bath

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is XTOL better than Tmax RS developer? How is it different?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin