Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 843

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

TMY-2 (new TMAX 400) really is an incredible film

TMY-2 continues to astound me in what it can do in 35mm - it really is almost as good as Pan F in diluted D-76/ID-11 developer! This is a moderately-sized example to show the complete lack of visible grain, and rendition of fine detail in low-contrast areas:

Bridge of river Gwaing

(Olympus OM-3Ti, Zuiko 90mm f/2.0 Macro, TMY-2 400 film)

For 35mm, I am basically using only this now - with a roll of Ilford Pan F here and there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like Tmax too, good stuff to push in Xtol. Nice camera and lens setup!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's my go-to film as well. When I use it, I never feel a need to use an ISO 100 film on account of sharpness, grain, or tonality.
    I regularly make 16x20" prints from 35mm TMY-2 and I've had people look at them wondering what film I used with my Hasselblad.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best B&W stuff Kodak has ever made. I love it in pyrocat. What developer are you all using?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm still shooting my stash of TMY original. It's pretty good, too.
    Jim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Like it at EI 800 in TMax Developer. It looks great from EI: 200 - 1600. I probably will shoot more at EI 320-400 once I use up my 150 rolls of Legacy Pro 400.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been a diehard Tri-X user since high school and I have to admit that TMY-2 is the first film that has been a serious contender to lure me away.

The grain is astonishingly small for a 400asa film. Basically it's as good as a traditional 100asa stock. Truly amazing.

Basically I have settled on Tri-X for bright sunny days. The shoulder roll off holds highlights forever and I still think it's one of the best looking film stocks around. There is something about the contrast of TMY-2 in bright sunlight that I don't like. I use Barry Thornton's 2-bath to keep the contrast under control.

But I prefer the linear nature of TMY-2 for shooting in the dark. I suspect that the linear toe holds shadow detail better than the s-curve of Tri-X. That combined with the finer grain makes it superior for push processing IMO. TMY-2 @ 1250/1600 in XTOL looks really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also think that TMY-2 is great. I use the 120 size which is wonderful.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a great film, indeed!

But even Tri-X 400 is amazingly low in grain now. I don't see grain in anything less than 8x enlargements, unless I stick my nose in the prints. I think Efke 100 tends to look much more like the classic "Tri-X look" than Tri-X does!

I tend to use Tri-X, as it is cheap right now as Arista Premiun 400. It is good enough, and I generally prefer the look of traditionally-grained products. However, I use T-Max 400 for pushing in very flat and low light, and when I need to minimize grain when shooting a 400 film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-30-2011 at 02:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    I'm still shooting my stash of TMY original. It's pretty good, too.
    Ditto. It will be a couple years before I get to my TMY-2 stash
    John Bowen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin