Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,051   Online: 878

Shooter
    35mm RF

TMY-2 Development Time Testing

I am about to try TMY-2 in 35mm. I am planning to run tests on exposure/ development along lines of David Vestal's method - 4 test rolls, each with a series of exposures from 5 stops under to 5 stops over. One roll at recommended development time (Rodinal 1:50 for me), one roll at twice recommended time, and one at half. Forth roll held for fine tuning.

My question: TMY-2 by many accounts is very reactive to changes in development. Will twice and half development times take me too far out, even for push & pull times? Should I initially test at perhaps recommended and 1/3 over and 1/3 under? (I am interested in push and pull times as long as I am testing.)

Ken

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When doing subjective test such as this, as opposed to plotting as in WBZS and WBM, I often do √2 * Std_time for upper and half that for lower.
    So if the time is you would do is 11 than 8 and 16 would be the low and high, or if 5.5 was norm then 4 and 8. This is a progression we have sen before.
    This works well for me as often normal is is about 5.5 minutes, and 2:45 is just an unworkable time in the developer. Too many other things go wrong that short.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How far are you going to push/pull in your usage?

I've done quite a bit of that and the problem really is combination of exposure and development both. You can easily get really dense negatives but they are printable - they just look really dense. In every day use, I rarely do more than 25% from published figures and that includes one stop push and pull. I usually do either EI400 and -10% or EI200 and -20 to -25%` depending on lighting condition.

I use D-76 by the way.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I suggest considering a different testing method.

Shooter
    Large Format

HC110

With Rodinal you'll get a fair amount of grain with TMY2 and really won't see the advantages of the film - its low grain in most developers. If you want the convenience and longevity of Rodinal, I would suggest HC110. An all around compromise - not the finest grain, not the sharpest, but much like D-76, pretty good at everything. With TMY2 I use dilution H, which is 1/2 strength dilution B (equal to 1:63), for 11 minutes at 68 degrees.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin