Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,574   Online: 965

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jüri View Post
    I mentioned it in the first post.
    Yes you did. But the Helios 44-2 is a single coated lens and has a reputation of being prone to flare. My post was therefore meant to be a rhetorical question. Perhaps I should have been clearer about my intent. If you look closely at professional photographers at work you will notice that they use a lens hood much more often than amateur photographers. When you really have to get a photograph you appreciate devices such as lenshoods.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Yes you did. But the Helios 44-2 is a single coated lens and has a reputation of being prone to flare. My post was therefore meant to be a rhetorical question. Perhaps I should have been clearer about my intent. If you look closely at professional photographers at work you will notice that they use a lens hood much more often than amateur photographers. When you really have to get a photograph you appreciate devices such as lenshoods.
    I haven't had too much problems with lens flare in the past, so I haven't bothered to use a lens hood most of the time. As I believe that's exactly what caused the problem this time, I'll certainly take it more seriously. At least now I know that the film is not the culprit.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jur1,

Good luck, other than the chance of flare this lens seems rather good. I have one but don't use it much. Mostly I now use a Bessa rangefinder.

Jerry
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This amount of flare should be very obvious in the viewfinder. Just hold your hand up to shield the lens and if flare is your nemesis, then this will markedly improve the viewfinder image. The Helios is a bit prone to flare, but not outrageously so.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I remember a thread on the RRF where Brian Sweeney took a Helios-103 (a different lens) which comes with lightly blued leaves in the iris and reduced flare considerably by the simple expedient of rubbing a black marker on them and replacing the front element cluster.

He shows a before/after shot of the same scene and the reduction of flare is easily seen. Could it be this Helios suffers from the same problem?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...threadid=51076

Could be an answer for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin