Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,960   Online: 922

Shooter
    35mm

Residue on Negatives after Drying?

After leaving my negatives to dry, I came back to find they were covered in a white/milky residue. I tried to remove it on an unexposed part of the film, and it comes off, but I'm confused as to what caused it. The only thing I did differently this time was use hypo clearing solution after fixing. My process went like this:

1. Develop in HC-110
    2. Stop Bath (Kodak Indicator)
    3. Fixer (Kodak fixer, the powder stuff).
    4. Hypo (Kodak)
    5. Wash
    6. Another run through Hypo.

Is it residue from hypo? I mean i figure it might be since its a sodium based formula. Please help me if you have any ideas, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your step 6 is plain wrong,

5. Wash
    6. Distilled water rinse with 1 drop of Photoflo.

Rewash all your films to remove that hypo clear.
    Bob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seyang View Post

1. Develop in HC-110
    2. Stop Bath (Kodak Indicator)
    3. Fixer (Kodak fixer, the powder stuff).
    4. Hypo (Kodak)
    5. Wash
    6. Another run through Hypo.

Is it residue from hypo? I mean i figure it might be since its a sodium based formula. Please help me if you have any ideas, thanks!
    First off FIXER is HYPO, HYPO is FIXER. Too often people don't know the difference. Images of first timers have been lost making such a mistake.

Your step 4 should be called HCA, or hypo clearing agent. HCA is solution of sodium sulfite. Yes if the last step is HCA you will have a white power on the negatives.

The last step should be distilled water with, or without, photo-flo .

Oh yeah. Welcome to APUG I wish you much success.
    Last edited by trexx; 08-02-2011 at 12:40 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to say hi.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your last step should be photo-flo.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is unfortunate that the word hypo continues to be used in photography. It is based on the erroneous use of the name hyposulfite for thiosulfate. The misnomer goes back to the early days of the art and is firmly entrenched. The problem is further compounded ky Kodak continuing to use such terms as Hypo Clearing Agent, Hypo Eliminator, Hypo Test, ... APUGers might help by gently proding people to use such terms as fixer, sodium thiosulfate, and washing aid.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 08-02-2011 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steps 1, 2, and 3 are correct. Step 4 should be rinse, step 5 should be HCA. Step 6 is another rinse followed with final rinse in distilled water and photoflo. Last thing after that is to hang film in a dust free area to dry.

I totally agree with Gerald, terminology needs to be unified, and antiquated terminology done away with. We use fixer followed by wash aid and rinses with clear water and a final rinse even in distilled water alone will allow negatives to dry spot free. Wash or rinse aids help remove residual fixing agents and conserve water. The use of drying aids such as Kodak Photoflo and Edwals LFN make films dry a little faster and cleaner.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin