Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,345   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Adox MCP 312 Question

I've recently set up a darkroom and have a question about ADOX MCP 312.

According to the info sheet, 312 without any filter is a grade 2. The problem is, my exposure time for this grade is about 3 seconds, max. It's ever so slightly longer when I use the filters in the colour head for higher grades - and even shorter for lower grades. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I should be able to have a longer exposure time, no?

My enlarger is an LPL D6700 with dichroic filters. The aperture on the lens is F11.

I'm processing the paper in Formulary 130, 1:1.

Thanks for any info - much appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used this paper but if the results look ok it's probably just really fast, and/or your enlarger is quite bright. You can add some neutral density to increase the times for dodging and burning or to increase accuracy (it's far easier to time, say, a 20 second exposure within a few percent than a 3 second exposure.) Since this is a color enlarger, just dial in equal additional amounts of each color over and above what you use for contrast control, say +20c, +20m, +20y. You can of course use more or less as needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never used this paper but 3 secs is way way too short, especially at F11. Sounds like something is seriously out of place somewhere. Too bright a bulb is the first thing that springs to mind. You might want to check the lens diaphram to make sure it is actually stopping down ? Also how close is the enlarger head to the baseboard... are you doing very small prints ?
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When I use my durst 1200 at 8x10" it's 3.7 seconds on F11.
    So 3 seconds is possible. As mentioned maybe a less brighter bulb would help you.
    I use a 150watt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does your enlarger have "light attenuators", that fit into a slot between the light source and mixing box? Some models of Omega enlargers come with several that have different hole patterns(IIRC). These are akin to ND filters to reduce the lamp brightness and lengthen exposure. The alternative is to use a ND filter.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Henry, what's the paper size? When printing on Agfa MCP 18*24cm I get roughly 15s at f/11 with filtering (colour head).
    When you make small prints just stop down to the max. aperture. If the time is still too short you may add filters - equal values of CMY are simply a gray filter and prolong the exposure.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi, everyone.

Ath - my paper size is 8x10, printing a 6x6 negative. I've read in a few places that stopping the aperture on the lens right down wasn't a good idea - but I'll experiment with the one I've got.

Rick - I'll check to see if the D6700 does have attenuators - not sure that it does, but I'll have a look.

Willie and Bill - yes, a lower wattage bulb might do the trick - I'll check to see what I have in there.

Roger - thanks for the pointer about increasing ND by dialing in equal amounts of CM&Y.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Yorke View Post
    Hi, everyone.

Ath - my paper size is 8x10, printing a 6x6 negative. I've read in a few places that stopping the aperture on the lens right down wasn't a good idea - but I'll experiment with the one I've got.
    Stopping down a lens beyond f/11 or so introduces diffraction. This gives a slight unsharpness which is completely invisible at the magnification you are using. Stop down and be happy.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't used any "new" Adox/Agfa MCP 312 but did use the original Agfa stuff with a 100W tungsten halogen bulb in a Durst 605 and never got exposures this low for 8x10 and 6x6 negs. I can come close with Kentmere VC Select but at 5x7 and f8 and Kentmere is about one speed faster than Ilford whereas Agfa as it was and I presume Adox MCP as it is now and Ilford are about the same speed.

It tends to suggests there is something different about the OP's set-up. Not much margin for dodging. Most 80mm lenses go to F22 so only about 12 secs max and don't most 50mm lenses only go to f16?

5x7 prints' exposure would be very short indeed with no room for dodging at all.

Stopping down might solve the issue but I'd be inclined to look further for a solution.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a neutral density filter for on-camera use. That could give you a few stops depending on what neutral density filter you get. Usually they range from two stops to ten stops.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin