Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,662   Posts: 1,481,642   Online: 830

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    so they called sodium thiosulphate hyposulfite of soda, but it wasn't hyposulfite of soda at all ? sorry to ask such a strange question, but when did the scientists that "discovered" sodium thiosulphate realize that they had mis-labeled
    the chemical, and that there was no such thing as hyposulfite ?
    It was early on in the 1800s, I believe. A lot of chemicals were determined using gravimetric and titrimetric methods, and there was a lot of error doing these things back then as the purity of available chemicals was not as good as we are used to today.

Also, sulfur forms many differing compounds with oxygen. Dithionate ion (S2O4 with a minus 2 charge) is similar to "hyposulfite" (SO2 with a minus 2 charge). Tetrathionate is S4O6 with a minus 2 charge. I suspect all these different forms took them a bit of time to unravel!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the card game. I was talking about chemicals.

Excuse my snarkiness tonight. Something in the air I guess. I do sort of roll my eyes at this sort of thing but I'm usually nicer about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Being a Kirk, I can tell you that everyone knows it's spelled "Fizzbin"... And there are rules for it too.

Each player gets six cards, except for the player on the dealer's right, who gets seven. The second card is turned up, except on Tuesdays. Two jacks are a "half-fizzbin." A third jack is a "shralk" and is grounds for disqualification. With two jacks, one wants a king and a deuce, except at night, when one wants a queen and a four. The top hand is a "royal fizzbin," but the odds of getting one are "astronomical".
    Outstanding! But you forgot the best line in the whole spiel: "The name of the game is called Fizzbin."
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well, it's been so long since I thought of that game, I'm sure there's a lot more I forgot!
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin