Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,958   Posts: 1,558,083   Online: 1100

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Umm, while interesting, it would be nice to know the speed comparisons and contrast values for the films. Otherwise we don't know what the actual data represents. These are just points of data hanging out to look at.

To be a fair comparison, all films should be developed to the same contrast and to the rated speed in a common developer.

PE
    In addition, use the same test target for each film and then put the same areas of the target under the microscope.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd be more interested to see differences between T grain films vs the standard grain of sister ASA speed Pan films keeping developers n temps the same both shooting the same target.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting and valuable. The examples look pretty closely matched, but it's hard to tell, and PE makes a good point. I'll be looking forward to more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    If you want to see film under the microscope, and read - generally speaking - an interesting document about film, I would suggest:

Film Grain, Resolution and Fundamental Film Particles, by Tim Vitale, 2007

The link below opens a large (4.31 MB) PDF document
    http://cool.conservation-us.org/cool...resolution.pdf
    Thanks, an interesting read indeed.

photophil,
    Can you say how you keep the film flat to take these photomicrographs?
    Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    actually, I do nothing :-)

I dont want to have scatches by any clamps or whatever. If you look closely you will see on some images that the corners are somehow out of focus because the film is not fully flat. I just try to stay in the center of the film-strip so I only have light bending and not an angled surface like I would get on the curled edges.

PHILIP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here are two more combos:

Ilford PanF plus (@ ISO50) in Rodinal 1:50
    Ilford Delta3200 (@ ISO3200) in Rodinal 1:50 at two spots with low and medium density on the negative

The second one is - according to some people around - not an optimum combination. But I tried it once and now I can show it here.

A Rollei 80S (planned for SD2525) and a Fomapan400 (planned for Rodinal) are in my camera right now. So these will be the next ones shown here.

so ... fire away

PHILIP

PS: Just some remarks on my development process: All development is done in a Jobo drum by hand with tilting. Developer (in aqua dest.) tempered with an analog thermometer. Chemistry measured with small measurement cylinders. The time is taken from a stopwatch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford-PanFplus-Rodinal50.jpg   Ilford-Delta3200-Rodinal50-LD.jpg   Ilford-Delta3200-Rodinal50-HD.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have copied the highest magnifications into one file and sorted them according the grain size (as it appears to me). This - for me - gives the following list:

Ilford PanF+
    Fuji Acros100
    Ilford FP4+
    Kodak TriX400
    Ilford Delta400 @800
    Ilford Delta3200

As said - all my personal opinion. Due to other film development the order may change.

PHILIP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comparison-1000x.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin